car sub for home - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default car sub for home

Is it ok to make a subwoofer using sony XM-552ZR amp and XS-L120P5H for home use. I am using Yamaha RX-V450 receiver. As this amp already has sub x-over and phase selection inbuilt I guess is I won't need it in the sub amp.
I am from Kolkata(Westbengal, India), and they don't sell any plate amp for subs here.
The cost will be something around Rs. 7000 for sub+amp plus around Rs. 600 fot the cabinet.
I don't think I will get a decent ready made sub for Rs7600 in Kolkata. So that justifies my need to make one.
What are the pitfalls fo using car components for home use?
Old 21st September 2006, 08:07 PM   #2
ostie01 is offline ostie01  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi, how will you power the car amp. I'm not sure your yamaha receiver will handle the 4 Ohm load.
Old 21st September 2006, 08:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Lothar34
Default Re: car sub for home

Quote:
Originally posted by madman29
What are the pitfalls fo using car components for home use? [/B]
The only problem I can see is getting an AC/DC converter that can handle that much power.
Old 23rd September 2006, 03:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, my basic problem is that I won't get a plate amp for sub in Kolkata. This very fact is making me look for substitutes. But I have a Kenwood stereo amp (150W/channel). Is it possiable to use that as my sub amp with feed from my receiver's sub outlet and using a low pass x-over in the sub?
Is there any other way out? for me getting a sub amp is the main problem. And I don't know anything about making an amp let alone a sub amp!
Help! anybody?
Old 23rd September 2006, 04:37 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madman29
Well, my basic problem is that I won't get a plate amp for sub in Kolkata. This very fact is making me look for substitutes. But I have a Kenwood stereo amp (150W/channel). Is it possiable to use that as my sub amp with feed from my receiver's sub outlet and using a low pass x-over in the sub?
Is there any other way out? for me getting a sub amp is the main problem. And I don't know anything about making an amp let alone a sub amp!
Help! anybody?
Hi,

The subout from your reciever is already filtered, split it using
a Y cable into left and right of a stereo power amplifer, use each
channel to drive one coil of a dual coil subwoofer driver.

/sreten.
Old 29th September 2006, 02:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I made a 14V power supply from a old microwave transformer to run a car amp in my room. I rewound the secondary windng with 6Guage wire
Old 6th October 2006, 02:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you can power the car amp then the answer is a qualified 'yes' .

If you have a SUB out from the hifi amp, then you can bypass the x-over in the car amp and feed its output to the speaker ( otherwise use the x-over ).
If the speaker is DVC ( Dual Voice Coil ) then you can drive each coil from a channel on the amp OR run the amp in bridged mode (if it will) and drive one or both coils from that.

If the amp will handle a low impedance load (i.e 2R assuming the speaker is DVC) then you will get the maximum power out this way.

Do not be tempted to use a car-type sub enclosure in a house, it is likely to sound terrible. Car speaker boxes are designed to accomodate 'cabin gain' in order to sound good in a car. In a house they will sound thin and pathetic. Build a proper enclosure to match your room.
Old 6th October 2006, 02:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

And I don't know anything about making an amp let alone a sub amp!

By the way , there is nothing special about a 'sub amp' versus a normal stereo amp, except that driving a sub doesn't need as wide a bandwidth as a normal amp, and possibly the PSU needs to be a little more robust.

My advice is to forget about the car amp and to drive the car sub from another 'normal' stereo amp, as long as you can find one which will handle the car subs impedance ( which is likely to be 4R / coil ) a lot of inexpensive ( and some expensive ) amps don't like loads lower than 6R. If your sub is DVC then you can wire the coils in series to make 8R , and any hifi amp will drive that !

Footnote: A quick check on Google tells me that the XS-L120P5H is a single voice coil , which complicates things a little. Find a hifi amp pwhich will drive 4R loads, it will be easier than trying to drive a car amp.
Old 7th October 2006, 06:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Amp for the sub

The amp I will use for the sub is Kenwood Ka-2200 which you all can check out in this site
http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/ka-1100.htm
(It is the same as this TRIO modle)
As for bridging the amp for a mono output I don't know if it is possiable with this amp though it can produce 4ohms output which is selectable from the back panel. It also has a mono/stereo switch. I think I will use a Pioneer Car sub for this but yet to select the model.
The sub I want to make should have the speaker at the bottom in a down firing position. As I have seen in most of the cars they fit the sub facing upward behind the back seat. So is it also ok to fit it in a down firing position? Should I make the box sealed or bassreflex? which works better for a car sub?
Old 7th October 2006, 07:04 PM   #10
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The downfiring position I think will make it more or less behave as a compound enclosure. This will make it possible to reduce the cabinet size in order to maintain same roll-off freq.
On top of that the coupling to the floor will increase the bass-output on a certain low freq.bandwidth. Keep these things in mind...

Closed would have my recommendation (will result in even smaller size cabinet...)

To stay within your budget:
http://www.marchandelec.com/ftp/xm46man.pdf

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/f...ssiveHLxo.html

Any amp can be filtered-out above very low freqs. in a passive way at very low cost. I think the +/- 10db filters on the kenwood will not give satisfying results...

Hide this!Advertise here!