Using 5 channel receiver for stereo sub and speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would you think about using a 5 channel receiver to power 2 passive subwoofers and a set of speakers? I'd set the front speakers to large, using them for the subs, and the 'surround' to small, using them for the set of speakers, then use Y connectors to send the stereo input to both front and surround inputs. I've got a spare 5 channel receiver, and have just won a pair of subwoofer drivers on auction, and was wondering how this would work, when they get here...

Thanks!

Tom.

Essentially you're bi-amping them by doing that. That could work so long as you have lowpass passive x-overs for the subs and they're a high enough impedance not to overload the receiver.

What you're doing might not be the best way of doing things, but poor boys have poor ways right?

Speaking of poor ways, I once used a pair of car 6.5" put them in their own tupperware container (a small one that the basket fit into to use as an enclosure) and put them in a trash can filled with clothes. The clothes acted as a lowpass filter so I wouldn't hear the highs. It helped add a little bass to my boombox system :) Wow that was ghetto...

Having that said, I say go for it! Use what you've got and be creative! Just make sure you're not going to overload your receiver and get some x-overs for those. Actually, partsexpress has what you need if you're only using the receiver as an amp! It plugs in before the amp. However if you're using the receivers radio tuner, you're going to be SOL, so plan wisely

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-254
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

renfrow said:
What would you think about using a 5 channel receiver to power 2 passive subwoofers and a set of speakers? I'd set the front speakers to large, using them for the subs, and the 'surround' to small, using them for the set of speakers, then use Y connectors to send the stereo input to both front and surround inputs. I've got a spare 5 channel receiver, and have just won a pair of subwoofer drivers on auction, and was wondering how this would work, when they get here...

Thanks!

Tom.

Hi,

If its a 5.1 reciever with a line sub out and line channel ins there
are better ways of doing it than the above as far as I can tell.

Left and right set to small, set to 2.1, Y split subout to surrounds
left and right for each subwoofer, no passive filters required.

:)/sreten.

Re: Re: Using 5 channel receiver for stereo sub and speakers

sreten said:
Hi,

Oohh, that's good! Much better idea, so long as he has sub outs. How much of a delay would that cause after all the processing? Less than 3-4ms?

Re: Re: Using 5 channel receiver for stereo sub and speakers

sreten said:
Hi,

Thanks! I'll try that! I hope setting it to 2.1 doesn't turn off the surround amps!

Tom.

Hi,

Hmmm.......

What we don't want is the 2.1 setting mixing all 5 inputs,
then the subout to surround in will cause a feedback loop.

What we do want is a setting that only accepts inputs from
left and right and separates these to filtered left and right
and a sub output, and leaves the other inputs - centre,
right and left rear directly connected to their amplifiers.

I'm not sure if this is possible ..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.