Need help..1st time DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

I need help. I have alot of spare car audio subwoofers and I want to make my own subwoofer for my HT.

1 have

1 - Resonant Engineering SE 10
Fs 26.6
Qms 4.4
Qes .46
Qts .42
Vas 31

and 2 Resonant Engineering RE 10's
FS 21.5
Qms 4.37
Qes .39
Qts .36
Vas 75.6

www.reaudio.com

I plan to get the BASH 300W plate from PE.

Which sub will give me better results? Im a noob when it comes to HT.

What should I tune the enclosure to?

Put the RE10s into a very large sealed box (7 or 8 cubic feet) and you should be golden :) Make the box solid, and one way to get around spouse acceptance factor is to make it a subwoofer coffee table :)

ants said:
Guys,

I need help. I have alot of spare car audio subwoofers and I want to make my own subwoofer for my HT.

1 have

1 - Resonant Engineering SE 10
Fs 26.6
Qms 4.4
Qes .46
Qts .42
Vas 31

and 2 Resonant Engineering RE 10's
FS 21.5
Qms 4.37
Qes .39
Qts .36
Vas 75.6

www.reaudio.com

I plan to get the BASH 300W plate from PE.

Which sub will give me better results? Im a noob when it comes to HT.

What should I tune the enclosure to?

ants said:
7-8 cu ft..thats pretty big. How did you come up with that?

Intuition :)

It would make for a lower Q alignment for the woofers, meaning that they will roll off slower, but the slope start higher. Tends to mean better sound quality, and better deep bass, and better coupling to room modes. You could model it, but for sealed, it takes relatively large changes in volume size to make the response change dramatically- in other words, an intuitive guess is usually sufficient assuming an experienced guesser :)

thanks badman!

I'll give it a try..MDF is dirt cheap anyways.

If I were to build 2 towers (cant find sonotubes here), with your "intuitive guess" of 7/8 cu ft) would it be safe to assume on my part that each tover should have a volume of 3.5-4 cu ft? I dont belive i have room for a coffee table style sub.

Doing the math!!

Its' all in the math really...just a bunch of formulas...I came up with 16.90652931 Cubic feet @.707 Qtc. for the higher Fs one & 8.63 cubic feet for .9 Qtc.
The lower Fs one was 26.4626238 cubic feet for Qtc of .707
14.4 Cubic feet for a Qtc of .9
I love math & these formulas seem to work right on the money for me!
__________________________________Rick...........
PS.... Vas really can't be in litres...doesn't "ADD" up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.