Is it reasonable to have a sub go from 20 to 120hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to plan out a system for my home theater - really more of a 11x14 foot media room. I built 3 full range monitors (my first project) that extend to 100hz at the lowest. I would like to fill in the bass with two subwoofers but am not sure about how high I can expect a subwoofer to go. Would 100-120hz be reasonable?

Next, I'm trying to figure out what type of enclosure to use. I am thinking I might like to build something that is sort of a speaker stand/subwoofer in one - not unlike the Von Schweikert VR4 Jr.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr4jr.html

A shove in the right direction is appreciated.

As far as I'm concerned, your sub can go as high as you want it. All you need to do is make sure the drivers you chose are appropriate for the job you appoint them. Now for sure going all the way up to 100hz is not going to be easily achieved by a heavy 21" woofer but I see no problem with an 8" or 10". Then you end up loosing on the bottom end on things. Going down to 20Hz flat from 100Hz might be a stretch, but if you account room gain it should be easily achieveable. A bit of equing might just very well do the trick (i.e. Linkwitz transform)

Hope this helps!
Sébastien

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.