New guy here with lots of bass related questions. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2006, 11:30 AM   #11
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You are effective doubling sound intensity each time you intersect the radiating plane, so you get +6dB sound pressure level each time.
Old 17th September 2006, 06:27 PM   #12
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
WinISD is just optimistic.
I've found the exact opposite. Peak in-room SPL seems to be higher than what WinISD predicts.

114db at 20hz in a HUGE vented enclosure is very realistic with the Alliance 18. Even in a sealed enclosure, this sub could easily manage 120db once it's placed in a room. The quarter wavelength of 20hz is around 14 feet, so you don't even have to place it into a corner for it to behave like it is.

Dan
Old 17th September 2006, 07:08 PM   #13
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Peak in-room SPL seems to be higher than what WinISD predicts.
I forgot to add "even after estimating room gain with a Linkwitz transform."

Dan
Old 18th September 2006, 06:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are effective doubling sound intensity each time you intersect the radiating plane, so you get +6dB sound pressure level each time.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by owdi

I've found the exact opposite. Peak in-room SPL seems to be higher than what WinISD predicts.

114db at 20hz in a HUGE vented enclosure is very realistic with the Alliance 18. Even in a sealed enclosure, this sub could easily manage 120db once it's placed in a room. The quarter wavelength of 20hz is around 14 feet, so you don't even have to place it into a corner for it to behave like it is.

Dan
But just how musical would that be?
Old 18th September 2006, 01:30 PM   #15
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by looneybomber

Thanks!

But just how musical would that be?

How musical? If you're concerned with having 115dB @ 20Hz, music doesn't seem to be on your list of priorities for the sub. There's next to nothing musically at 20Hz.

And a big vented enclosure can sound musical, though I prefer sealed (for a variety of reasons: low Q sealed rolloff better matches room gain, IMO, and and doesn't 'unload' below Fb)
Old 18th September 2006, 02:22 PM   #16
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Not only that but one mans musical is another mans monstrosity.
Old 19th September 2006, 02:09 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badman
How musical? If you're concerned with having 115dB @ 20Hz, music doesn't seem to be on your list of priorities for the sub. There's next to nothing musically at 20Hz.

And a big vented enclosure can sound musical, though I prefer sealed (for a variety of reasons: low Q sealed rolloff better matches room gain, IMO, and and doesn't 'unload' below Fb)
But it wouldn't solely play from 15-25hz, it would be my main source of bass for my classical, jazz, rock and progressive house music that I typically listen to.

Quote:
Not only that but one mans musical is another mans monstrosity.
Valid point.

After reading the "help" file on WinISD, I can get the values inputed correctly and will be able to tell what the group delay is. How can I figure out what its' transient response will be though?
Old 19th September 2006, 03:24 AM   #18
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

wouldn't this woofer produce high spl?
http://www.visaton.de/de/chassis_zub...r/bgs40_8.html
or this one seems quite capable, though pretty expensive, said to be "the most awesome bass in the world":
http://members.fortunecity.de/sba01/CAR-HIFI.html
and getting it to "move":
http://41hz.com/
That is if you are that diy, look at amp7 or amp 8!

should be possible to make ears bleed....
Old 19th September 2006, 08:28 AM   #19
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Transient response is not really relevant as it will never play any transients, being a sub-woofer however, from a purely theoretical point of view, WinISD has a graph of transient/impulse response I think.
Old 19th September 2006, 10:03 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Transient response is not really relevant as it will never play any transients, being a sub-woofer however, from a purely theoretical point of view, WinISD has a graph of transient/impulse response I think.
I am confused. I thought transient response was the time it took the speaker to go from one position (sitting still) to another (moving). It's that transition that I thought was measured and called "transient response". If that is not transient response, what is that called?

Also, do ported boxes increase that time from not moving to moving, or is that more controlled by the amp and its damping factor?

Hide this!Advertise here!