Need recommendation for sub at work - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2006, 08:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need recommendation for sub at work

So right now I have a couple of “full range” speakers in my office that I built around some very cheap 4” drivers that PE was selling last year. I’m probably going to replace the drivers with some of the TB W3-871S 3" drivers.

I’m looking to build a sub that will do three things.
1. Integrate well with the existing “full range” speakers
2. Small size, needs to fit under my desk at work
3. Sounds good at low volumes

Right now I’m looking at the Dayton SD215-88 8" or possibly a TangBand W6-1139SG 6-1/2" in a small sealed sub. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
-Ron
Old 13th September 2006, 09:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Lothar34
How are you setting this up? Is there one amp and a passive crossover for everything? Two amps? How many watts?
Old 13th September 2006, 09:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'll probably get something like the Dayton SA25 or SA70 plate amp. Haven't decided on the amp yet of even if I'll run it external to the sub itself. One though I had was doing a mini sealed sonotube in which case I might not be able to fit the amp in.

My amp is a Onkyo R-805 mini-receiver that has a subwoofer out on it.
Old 14th September 2006, 01:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If it was me and I was looking for one in the $23 price range, I'd probably go with that Dayton.

If you're willing to spend $40, take a look at the Silver Flute shielded 8" at Madisound (at the bottom):
http://www.madisound.com/silverflute.html
Looks like the shielded one only comes in 8ohm
Old 14th September 2006, 06:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

While choosing the best 8" sub for my car, sealed .35 cu ft (small)
,ran by 150wrm +...Partsexpress ran the Bass Box numbers for two drivers side by side, the Quattro, and the Tang Bang.
The Quattro qould play a bit louder (spl), howeve the Tang Bang would go lower (lower Fs, etc) and both would reach about 102-105db before xmax problems. Parts Express rep recommended the TB. It;s the W8-740C Long Excursion.

I ended up getting a fantastic deal on a RE8 with DVC, 175wrms, 12xmax, from a reseller on sounddomain, $53 shipped, got that was my final choice, and the results are aoutstanding. tight and chean chest pounding base. (small car, convertible Boxster) Wow.

I guess my post may help with the part that the PE express rep says the TB if perfect for a small sealed box, just amp it right.

On an audio sound board, an extremely experienced moderator also recommende the TB.

PS: Here is a nice project with 8" and a PR, all parts from PE.
http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ska/index.html

Hope this helps.
Old 14th September 2006, 06:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have the Tang Band W8-740C in my car and I absolutely love it. I'm getting another and am going to move them into the cabin. I looked at the RE 8" but they were on a long backorder.

I was going to recommend the W8-740C, but it's not shielded. If that doesn't matter to you or you don't mind getting a big bucking magnet, check that one out.
Old 14th September 2006, 08:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So I went ahead and tried to model out both the Dayton and the TB in WinISD. Here's what it looks like.

Click the image to open in full size.

They Dayton while requiring a larger box has a nice curve. The TB is a much smaller enclosure but seems to have a weird curve.
Old 14th September 2006, 09:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

My graph for the TB doesn't look like that. Are you sure you had the parameters right?:
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w8-740c.htm

Old 14th September 2006, 10:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lothar34
My graph for the TB doesn't look like that. Are you sure you had the parameters right?:
Note to self, never trust parameters that you don't enter yourself.

Thanks Lothar, apparently the driver file that came with WinISD was wrong. I corrected the entries and got a much nicer curve.

The TB doesn't go quite as low as the Dayton but the Dayton box is almost 5 times as big. I think I might have a winner.
Old 14th September 2006, 11:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah. If you take into account the price and the the fact that the Dayton is shielded, I think I'd go with that one too. Assuming you don't need the extra power handling.

How do they decide what to list as the "Frequency Response"? On PE's site it says the Dayton is 30Hz+ and the TB is 28Hz+, but looking at that graph the Dayton is 6dB higher at 30Hz. I'm confused.

Hide this!Advertise here!