Sub integration - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2006, 07:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Default Sub integration

Having been away from all things DIY for a while, and being better off financially (cc paid off and better paid job) I wanted some advice before embarking on a 'journey into sound'

I am using Tannoy HPD 385 DC's but feel I am lacking in the low region and losing out on the midband sometimes.

I have the feeling that dedicated Sub(s?) could bring me eternal bliss....

The Tannoys drop off slowly from 100hz down and I dont think the room helps much with some one note booms. Would these drivers be acceptable as mid/highs and if so what sub(s) design would work well with them?

3ways are supposedly great as they use one driver to cover the mid section where the ear is most sensitive (the Tannoy drivers crossover gently at around 1000hz between mid & high) and I thought that by adding some power assisted bass I could get the 'whole sound'
Old 10th September 2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

How big is your room? If the Tannoy's drop off from about 100Hz then they will benefit from a sub or two.
Old 10th September 2006, 12:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My room is abour 17 by 21 foot and 8 'n a bit tall.

The Tannoys are quite efficient - 92-93dB/w/m I think. Would the sub need to be of a similar efficiency?
Old 10th September 2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

No the sub efficiency is irrelevant as it should be driven by it's own amplifier.

In a room of that size you should be able to fill it out better with bass from a sub, adding a lot of depth and taking the strain off the Tannoy's. What is your budget?
Old 10th September 2006, 12:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just paid off the credit card

On the other hand the wife says 'don't go blowing the lot on speakers again'.....so reasonable would be the word I'd use.

And that is reasonable to the wife.

I thought that if I have low frequency reinforcement I could make the Tannoy cab smaller and get some WAF that way
Old 10th September 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Adding a sub to a pair of 15" Tannoy drivers ? are you mad ?

Seriously what cabinets are they in ? consider detuning the ports
for more deep bass and then adding some line level bass boost.

No sub required IMO, what amplifier do you have ?

/sreten.
Old 10th September 2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

didn't realise they were 15 inch. Yes definitely something wrong if they aren't doing the business.
Old 10th September 2006, 02:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

They are in Berkerly cabs which have two front firing ports a touch over 40mm dia and about 150mm long.

I have a Jungson 88D Class A Amp driving them but seem to be getting some of the low bass sucked out. Its strange as I get some low stuff but there seems to be a gap in the bass. Maybe the room is reinforcing some of the very low bass but the slightly higer stuff if not benifitting from the rooms 'modes'

Who knows?
Old 10th September 2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

How big/what volume are the cabinets? 150mm long doesn't sound like it's tuned very low...
Old 10th September 2006, 03:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Standard cabs are 754mm tall 500mm wide and 308mm deep. Made of good ol' HD chipboad with what tannoy described as 'massive internal bracing' ie a 100mm wide brace running fromt to back just below the driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!