diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Sub integration (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/86234-sub-integration.html)

JRKO 10th September 2006 07:40 AM

Sub integration

Having been away from all things DIY for a while, and being better off financially (cc paid off and better paid job) I wanted some advice before embarking on a 'journey into sound'

I am using Tannoy HPD 385 DC's but feel I am lacking in the low region and losing out on the midband sometimes.

I have the feeling that dedicated Sub(s?) could bring me eternal bliss.... ;)

The Tannoys drop off slowly from 100hz down and I dont think the room helps much with some one note booms. Would these drivers be acceptable as mid/highs and if so what sub(s) design would work well with them?

3ways are supposedly great as they use one driver to cover the mid section where the ear is most sensitive (the Tannoy drivers crossover gently at around 1000hz between mid & high) and I thought that by adding some power assisted bass I could get the 'whole sound'

richie00boy 10th September 2006 08:20 AM

How big is your room? If the Tannoy's drop off from about 100Hz then they will benefit from a sub or two.

JRKO 10th September 2006 12:12 PM

My room is abour 17 by 21 foot and 8 'n a bit tall.

The Tannoys are quite efficient - 92-93dB/w/m I think. Would the sub need to be of a similar efficiency?

richie00boy 10th September 2006 12:42 PM

No the sub efficiency is irrelevant as it should be driven by it's own amplifier.

In a room of that size you should be able to fill it out better with bass from a sub, adding a lot of depth and taking the strain off the Tannoy's. What is your budget?

JRKO 10th September 2006 12:51 PM

Just paid off the credit card:devilr:

On the other hand the wife says :whazzat: 'don't go blowing the lot on speakers again'.....so reasonable would be the word I'd use.

And that is reasonable to the wife.

I thought that if I have low frequency reinforcement I could make the Tannoy cab smaller and get some WAF that way

sreten 10th September 2006 01:01 PM

Hi,

Adding a sub to a pair of 15" Tannoy drivers ? :scratch: are you mad ? :boggled:

Seriously what cabinets are they in ? consider detuning the ports
for more deep bass and then adding some line level bass boost.

No sub required IMO, what amplifier do you have ?

:)/sreten.

richie00boy 10th September 2006 02:27 PM

:bigeyes: didn't realise they were 15 inch. Yes definitely something wrong if they aren't doing the business.

JRKO 10th September 2006 02:37 PM

They are in Berkerly cabs which have two front firing ports a touch over 40mm dia and about 150mm long.

I have a Jungson 88D Class A Amp driving them but seem to be getting some of the low bass sucked out. Its strange as I get some low stuff but there seems to be a gap in the bass. Maybe the room is reinforcing some of the very low bass but the slightly higer stuff if not benifitting from the rooms 'modes'

Who knows?

richie00boy 10th September 2006 02:54 PM

How big/what volume are the cabinets? 150mm long doesn't sound like it's tuned very low...

JRKO 10th September 2006 03:01 PM

Standard cabs are 754mm tall 500mm wide and 308mm deep. Made of good ol' HD chipboad with what tannoy described as 'massive internal bracing' ie a 100mm wide brace running fromt to back just below the driver.