Sub integration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having been away from all things DIY for a while, and being better off financially (cc paid off and better paid job) I wanted some advice before embarking on a 'journey into sound'

I am using Tannoy HPD 385 DC's but feel I am lacking in the low region and losing out on the midband sometimes.

I have the feeling that dedicated Sub(s?) could bring me eternal bliss.... ;)

The Tannoys drop off slowly from 100hz down and I dont think the room helps much with some one note booms. Would these drivers be acceptable as mid/highs and if so what sub(s) design would work well with them?

3ways are supposedly great as they use one driver to cover the mid section where the ear is most sensitive (the Tannoy drivers crossover gently at around 1000hz between mid & high) and I thought that by adding some power assisted bass I could get the 'whole sound'

Just paid off the credit card:devilr:

On the other hand the wife says :whazzat: 'don't go blowing the lot on speakers again'.....so reasonable would be the word I'd use.

And that is reasonable to the wife.

I thought that if I have low frequency reinforcement I could make the Tannoy cab smaller and get some WAF that way

They are in Berkerly cabs which have two front firing ports a touch over 40mm dia and about 150mm long.

I have a Jungson 88D Class A Amp driving them but seem to be getting some of the low bass sucked out. Its strange as I get some low stuff but there seems to be a gap in the bass. Maybe the room is reinforcing some of the very low bass but the slightly higer stuff if not benifitting from the rooms 'modes'

Who knows?

Hi,

You can experiment by closing off one port (sock), will detune the
other port by half an octave and possibly extend bass by half an
octave albeit at a lower level.

Then I suggest you read up on line level passive EQing, line level
BSC (baffle step compensation) circuits are a good place to start.

http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm

Though choose your frequencies for lower bass somwhat.

Really need driver parameters and the internal volume of the box,
find them on the web and post them here, I'll model the alignment.

:)/sreten.

JRKO

I make the tuning frequency to be around 24hz. Blocking one port drops it to 17hz, which probably isn't what you're looking for.

Maybe the room node idea needs investigating further

regards
Collo

Attachments

• jrko.gif
    jrko.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 150
Specs from Tannoy

Re 5.7 ohms
Fs 22Hz
Qms 2.4
Qes 0.2
Qts 0.18
Bl 18.72 na
Cms 0.58mm/N
Mms 90g
Sd 770 sq. sm
Vas 483l
Rms 5.1 mech ohms
Sensitivty @ 2.83v/1m 94.3db

There are specs that were mesured by someone @ www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy39.htm that are different from these. My drivers were recenlty refurbisheded by Lockwood and have double the power handling - now up to 150w

In the original Tannoy docs they say that a sealed box is also fine. Would this help and tighten up the bass?
I am guessing this is in the wrong place now. Although a 15 inch driver probably counts as a sub anyway!

Hi,

Hmmm....... low bass doesn't model that well but its well damped.
I estimated box volume at 80L, means tuned quite low.

Still I think some line level bass boost would work wonders if
your normal listening levels get nowhere near clipping levels.

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.