coffee table open baffle??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current project is not nearly completed but like most of us the brain is partially on the next one.

I will be needing a subwoofer. surprise:)

I am having thoughts of building a coffee table with an open baffle sub as per the pathetic attached pic. I am thinking of a few advantages:

1) I will get a new coffee table for my coffee:)

2) As per the usual coffee table sub setup, it won't intrude in on the room.

3) The isolating baffles will be quite large, allowing for good bass.

4) ?

4) I will get a new coffee table for my coffee:)

shoot it down please.

Attachments

• cof tbl.jpg
    cof tbl.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 449
If you could place say a single woofer on an end and use a larger U baffle would that not allow you to use less equalization due to a larger baffle length?

Yup, I think so. I think the baffle size gets really large to prevent cancellation of the lower freqs. It might be diminishing returns?? Large power,to compensate for the roll-off due to a smallish baffle, is pretty cheap. It seems like some sort of eq below Fs is always handy. I'm going to be trying one of these H-Baffle things, I'm really curious now.

You might just use 2 15" or larger, each in a ripole config, and use the resulting ripole boxes as the legs of the table. This way you should (theoretically) get lower response due to the ripole config lowering the drivers' Fs, and the drivers will be completely protected from feet or anything that might go under the table. You will definitely need alot of amp power to get these up to level with your mains/satellites, but another advantage would be that you could run them stereo (I seem to be able to locate the source of bass further down in frequency than is normal, so I like that), or at the very least run the things with a pair of cheaper amp channels instead of needing a more expensive, single monster channel.

Kensai

Pathetic Drawing???

I think the drawing is definately NOT pathetic.

Much easier to read and understand than the convoluted stuff that usually happens between my ears.

Sorry I can't be any help on how the design should work, which explains why I'm the one asking instead of answering the questions around here.

renfrow said:

I like the looks of this, would everything be wired in phase?

You'd probably want to cover the top with cork sheets or something that would minimize cups sliding off due to vibrations :)

Tom.

Yes, in this configuration I would say they should all be in phase. I have a feeling vibes would be minimal. With the woofs mounted opposite to each other, I think most of the vibe energy would cancel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.