Project for 15" Tumult?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
After much reading,I will be building a sub with 15" tumult- because of all the main drivers, only Adire and Peerless (xxls) are localy available (Australia). Have considered shipping the others but from what I gather there is no great benefits over the tumult anyway.
Musicality is priority, always. Mains are Seas Odin Mk3 (mtm)for HT and 2 way monitors with Seas W18EX and millenium for the good 2ch recordings. Listening room is your average medium sized lounge. Crossing no higher than 80Hz.
Will be getting a QSC RMX pro amp to suit the subs needs.
To be honest the 15" is overkill but I'd like it for the maximum depth since I might end up with sealed.
I just cant seem to find many completed projects with the new tumults. Sims are great but I feel better seeing experienced peoples resalts. Can anyone point to any completed projects or known good resalts?
Btw, I'll use downfiring sonotube for the sake of experimenting with sealed v's vented, have to buy it in 3 metre lengths anyway so might as well use it:D

Hmmm, my dealer has none in stock but says they should be in soon.... Are they actually available yet?? Has anyone got either a new 15D2 or 15D4? I remember all that crap went down with adire but I was under the impression that it was all back on track. Dont want to build 2 XXLS' and still be a whole octave short now.:bawling:

Hi.Joe,

If I were you, I'd rather get myself 3 Peerless drivers than one 15"Tumult. The cost would be about the same, but Peerless drivers would give you more displacement and could work in much smaller box.
830500 (XLS12) and 830844 (XXLS12) can work in very small enclosures because they have very low fs and low Q. 3 12" XLS drivers (830500) only need little less than 40 liters to achieve Qtc of 0,7 while Tumult will need 85liter box. The smaller box will be easier to make stiff.Also, with more drivers, you would have more sensitivity, and better thermal dissipation capability.
Not to mention the cool factor :cool:

Dont want to build 2 XXLS' and still be a whole octave short now.

I don't think that you will be an octave short with Peerless. Those things can play very deep and clean.

Musicality is priority, always.

Then, low Q closed box is the way to go, skip the vented.

Building a box with 3 drivers is kind of final if you know what I mean. Do you think the diff in sound quality is audible? Going single powerful driver with sonotube makes for some tweakability and trial + error which makes me happy. Hmmm now 2 xxls's per side I could live with, but 3 in one box.....hmmm dunno. 4 xxls getting a bit $$ tho.
Can anyone tell me if adire is shipping? If they aint, then my decision is made.

I have simulated both the tumult models to see the difference. Blue is the 15D4 and yellow the 15D2. I did vented and sealed for each. I had WinISD optimize for the flatest response. The 15D4 slightly out performs in both sealed and vented but requires twice the volume encloruse to do so.
I assume the 15D4 is for the auto application? If anyone believes I should NOT expect a resalt similar to the simulation, please jump in. This is not my forte.....yet. ;)
I will sim the XXLS against the tumult next, stay tuned....
btw, specs are here http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/TumultSeries.htm

Attachments

• tumult.jpg
    tumult.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 210
JoeM said:
I have simulated both the tumult models to see the difference. Blue is the 15D4 and yellow the 15D2. I did vented and sealed for each. I had WinISD optimize for the flatest response. The 15D4 slightly out performs in both sealed and vented but requires twice the volume encloruse to do so.
I assume the 15D4 is for the auto application? If anyone believes I should NOT expect a resalt similar to the simulation, please jump in. This is not my forte.....yet. ;)
I will sim the XXLS against the tumult next, stay tuned....
btw, specs are here http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/TumultSeries.htm

Factor in some room gain to make that more accurate. Note that high Qts woofers cant achieve EBS response like normally.

I have an 'original' tumult 15" subwoofer.

I dont think the specs are incredibly different from the 15d2 new version.

But anyways with 2 18" PRS I have house shaking response down ~15hz. I'm using the ADA1200 amplifier and crossing at ~40hz to extremis midwoofers.

The only complaint I have is that rattling is easily localized and the walls/pictures closest to the sub rattle MOST so if to turn it up too loud it tends to draw attention to itself. Now if you have an acoustically treated room this may not be as much of a problem, or if you can place the sub behind the mains it will also take care of itself... I guess any sub will do that though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.