Low frequency nausea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built my own sub as many have on this forum. I did a little short write up on it here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23441

I have had this same sub for what seems like forever now.

Anywas, in my earlier tests I sent a 20hz tone and measured in room respons and it seems to be flat to about 19 hz as planned. But when testing the sub i would get very nauseous.

And ever since then, during some movies I would feel sick. I contribute it to the low tuning of the sub.

I am planning on trading (or trying to!) my 15 inch dayton and a passive radiator, for a 10 inch titanic or a nice new peerless. build a modest box and tune it to 24hz or some other actually AUDIBLE frequency that wont make me sick.

Anyone else get this low bass sickness? am i alone here? anything over about 100db and i am sick for maybe 30 minutes. (light car sickness, not puking keeled over sick).

Please respond if you have ANYTHING to say. or if you want to make a trade. :)

Mike

Walt Disney and his artists were once made seriously ill when a sound effect, intended for a short cartoon scene, was slowed down several times on a tape machine and amplified through a theater sound system. The original sound source was a soldering iron, whose buzzing 60 cycle tone was lowered five times to 12 cycles. This tone produced a lingering nausea in the crew which lasted for days.

I think this article is severly inflated with hyperbole. They had no 'theater sound systems' capable of getting down to even 30Hz before Walt's death in 1966. They were convinced the limits of human hearing were 30-15,000Hz back then.

But it's an interesting article nontheless.

I can relate to this. After building my infinate baffle sub, I was playing with it at fairly high volumes just to see what it could do and sure enough, after a while, I didn't feel so good.
It was only after discussing this with another audio buddy who noted the same condition that we put 2 & 2 together and realized that it was the low frequency causing the problem.
Kinda handy if you have some guests over that don't want to leave;)

Cal Weldon said:
Listening to the bass in that hip hop stuff has always made me sick.

lol, amen brother. I remember the first time I was editing some vocal tracks in ProTools with my new Velodyne HGS-12 II going... I got a little woozy from some of the infrasonic info around some of the singer's breaths. And then I made the mistake of 'scrubbing' an edit, resulting in 0dB levels of anything from 2Hz to 150... But as soon as I knew what it was, the feeling went away immediately and has never come back.

But then, I never got sick from reading while riding in a car until a buddy of mine told me he gets sick reading while riding in a car.

But then, I never got sick from reading while riding in a car until a buddy of mine told me he gets sick reading while riding in a car.

And I was never sea sick until I saw someone else get sick on the boat. I can't help myself. I need two strong double gin and tonics before I get on the boat in the morning. Works a charm!! :drink: I wonder if it'll help with low sub frequencies as well?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.