Any sense in swapping the driver out of this cheap sub? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2006, 09:31 PM   #21
kevyjo is offline kevyjo  United States
diyAudio Member

I would encourage the DIY project, any expirience you have with the Sony might make it easier, but I think a DIY sub is a pretty forgiving project for the bigginner, it sounds like your ready, and you have the sony in the mean time
Old 24th September 2006, 01:34 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevyjo
I would encourage the DIY project, any expirience you have with the Sony might make it easier, but I think a DIY sub is a pretty forgiving project for the bigginner, it sounds like your ready, and you have the sony in the mean time
Slight change in schedule, but thx for the vote of confidence

Just recently picked up a new proficient S10 10" subwoofer (pre-built) for a song ($98 shipped) which effectively delays my DIY plans by at least a month or two. This is not necessarily a bad thing since it gives me time to research and mull over different ideas.

Have also begun to consider a tall thinner sonosub, something between 4' to 7' tall and narrow enough to just accomodate a decent 10" driver. Hoping it can drop down to 24-27hz but we'll have to see i guess. I understand that i may have to scope the smaller sonotubes or even PVC perhaps. But i like the idea of a thinner "bass column". If i do pursue this, and it turns out well, then i'll leave the door open for a second one. Anyone ever hear or see such an idea implemented before? Depending on my overall budget i would either use this infinity amp, or just "splurge" on a behringer A500. Wish that infinity amp had mono inputs but i guess i can work around the high-level inputs somehow.

The research and planning stage is half the fun in my opinion

Thanks again to everyone for your help and ideas.
Old 25th September 2006, 03:20 AM   #23
kevyjo is offline kevyjo  United States
diyAudio Member

of course if you own a house and want to get kinda crazy you could do an "Infinate Baffle" sub
Old 4th October 2006, 08:45 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

In case anyone was curious, i completed the mods to the sony sub.

I braced the insides of the sony cabinet vertically and horizontally. Coated both sides of the paper cone with modge-podge crafts glue. Lined the inside walls with a peculiar, thin yet dense foam-type carpet pad underlay. I've seen nearly all types of carpet padding before and i can truly say this is composed of a formula that i'm unfamiliar with. Well i lined most of the cabinet walls with the stuff and left plenty of clearance by the port area. The cabinet seems extremely sturdy btw, it is at least 3/4 mdf and the front baffle area may be thicker but i didn't measure it so i can't be sure. The woofer looks sorta cheap but it had some weight to it, maybe because of the ferrite bucking magnet glued to the back...

The results you ask? Well it sounds like a totally different sub beyond any doubt. It now sounds much more like the Proficient S10 sub i bought, and more closely resembles the Bic H100 in my main theatre area. What i mean is that the bass sounds more controlled somehow, it recovers from the "boom" sounds faster. I think i can hear individual bass notes more clearly but i need to give it some critical listening to be sure.

Am i satisfied? Of course not , this small endeavor has piqued my cusiosity with better quality bass. I'm still likely to swap the sony 8" driver with that MCM 55-2421 i mentioned prior. I also want to scope the insides of this Proficient sub i bought, and perhaps brace and line the insides of it as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still interested in researching and possibly building that thinner/smaller sonosub. Out of curiosity, does anyone think i can drop in a quality 10" or 12" driver into a 12" x 48" ported sonotube and still have it reach down to 20-24hz ? Or is that just a pipedream for such a small piece of sonotube?

Thanks again for reading and for all the assistance.

- Steve

Hide this!Advertise here!