Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2006, 08:23 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bogie
MCM has a dandy little 8" driver that goes VERY nicely into one of Bill Fitzmaurice's tiny horns...
Horn? what does a horn have to do with this thread?

This is about SUB-WOOFERS... not honky-horny thingies...

looks like a mis-post to me
Old 3rd September 2006, 01:30 AM   #12
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

You may now remove your foot.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/AutoTuba.html
Old 3rd September 2006, 02:16 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You may now remove your foot.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/AutoTuba.html

been there...this is nothing amazing... lotsa hype... didn't like the horn sound... I've built horns way back when... lots of efficient output, not such good low end quality... great if you're into that sort of thing... not for me...

no hoof in mouth disease here... maybe at your end?
Old 3rd September 2006, 03:32 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Sorry bogie, I gotta agree with auplatter on this. The auto tuba rolls off at about 8.5dB/oct from 80hz down to 20hz in cab, so in a large room that thing will be a very loud woofer with no low end. notice how flat that sealed sub is, the sensitivity might be lower but with the power handling of todays drivers flat response wins.
Attached Images
File Type: gif at.gif (15.7 KB, 163 views)
Old 3rd September 2006, 04:25 AM   #15
john65b is online now john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I think I have that same sub...I also got it dirt cheap brand new (under $65). Anyway, I found a site that details a few sub mods - one of which
is stiffening the cone by coating the outside and inside of the cone with Modge Podge (kinda like elmers glue - smells like it too) - you can get it at any craft store...next was put in some Egg Crate Foam on the inside...I did a few other things too, but don't remember. These were the two biggies.

Anyway, sounded a lot better - tighter - but it was never that bad to start with, just a lttle loose...I would not replace the driver....if you really want to build one, build a passive out of a sonotube...
Old 3rd September 2006, 08:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john65b
I think I have that same sub...I also got it dirt cheap brand new (under $65). Anyway, I found a site that details a few sub mods - one of which
is stiffening the cone by coating the outside and inside of the cone with Modge Podge (kinda like elmers glue - smells like it too) - you can get it at any craft store...next was put in some Egg Crate Foam on the inside...I did a few other things too, but don't remember. These were the two biggies.

Anyway, sounded a lot better - tighter - but it was never that bad to start with, just a lttle loose...I would not replace the driver....if you really want to build one, build a passive out of a sonotube...
Each of those ideas is very interesting, and thanks for sharing this very related info, being that you have the same sub and all.

I'm more than comfortable searching but do you happen to have a link to the sub mods you mentioned? I wonder if fiberglass would make a better filler than egg crate (?) since i have a few different types packed away somewhere. I will use the sub as-is for awhile to get used to it's characteristics, then when i yearn for something better then perhaps i'll begin the modifications . But yea, otherwise the sonosub is def a major candidate for a fall/winter project.

john65b: I've subscribed to that motorola DCP501 thread btw. You guys are really tempting me with that amp!
Old 3rd September 2006, 08:49 PM   #17
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]
john65b: I've subscribed to that motorola DCP501 thread btw. You guys are really tempting me with that amp! [/B]

Buy now for the good price
Old 3rd September 2006, 09:48 PM   #18
john65b is online now john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Ha! Small Forum, huh?

I have three DCP-501's, ordered (15) 2.2uF polypropylene input caps, have (15) 20K SMD resistors for the overload mod/fix, a number o extra 75V 10,000uf caps for the power supply, but can't find my soldering iron cause my basement is still getting finished!

Can't wait to dig into it.

Dude, buy it...power beyond your needs after you brdge four of the five channels. Cripes, 300 plus wpc of tripath power for $69? Unreal. I want to know where this guy gets them from so cheap...
Old 3rd September 2006, 10:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badman

Buy now for the good price
Ya, noticed the big price drop around a month or so ago. Needed different features for HT unfortunately though.

Quote:
Originally posted by john65b
Dude, buy it...power beyond your needs after you brdge four of the five channels. Cripes, 300 plus wpc of tripath power for $69? Unreal. I want to know where this guy gets them from so cheap...
Pretty sure he had over a thousand of them originally, Thought he bought them direct liquidation(?) Unfortunately i've already picked up a HT receiver with the features i need, and already have two T-amps that are begging for a bi-amp setup. Spreads the project money awefully thin
Old 19th September 2006, 11:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
MCM has a dandy little 8" driver that goes VERY nicely into one of Bill Fitzmaurice's tiny horns...

Finally got around to researching your suggestion, and found that highly tempting driver you were speaking of...the MCM 55-2421 which goes for a paltry $31. Can someone please give me a reason not to buy this driver? From the research i've done on it so far it seems to do well in small ported enclosures, and it definitely has great specs for a small driver. I would try modeling it with winisd pro first of course, which i may download tonight.

I have been using the sony sub as-is btw, but have recently applied modge-podge to the outside of the cone, which has produced an audible difference. Next comes some box bracing, some poly-fill or fiberglass filler and modge-podge to the inside of the cone. I guess i ought to await the results of those mods before even considering buying that MCM driver.

On a side note, i'm nearly positive that i'm going to build a smaller 10" diy sub this fall/winter and almost pulled the trigger on an amp and driver, but first i'd like to hear the results of this sony venture .

Hide this!Advertise here!