operation below fs - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2006, 04:49 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

From the Tangen article

"My quest for the Almighty Subwoofers really started when I as a teenager heard a rock band play. The band had a huge bass guitar amplifier, and the clean punch from this, far from anything I'd ever heard, made a deep impression on this author. "

Same for me. Bands would come somedays and play at our high school. The strong base went right through my gut and did something to me permanently.

Now I'm interested in even lower frequencies.
Old 5th September 2006, 04:12 PM   #22
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

Thing is, you let most "audiophiles" at the EQ for a live band, and it's gonna sound flat... For rock, my 0.9Q sealed subs are a LOT better than my 0.7Q subs... But the sevens are a LOT better with "nice" music.

In my basement, "The Bunker," I've got a pair of 15s tuned to 21hz, and the 0.9s sitting under the mains. I can't hear it down under 20s, but I can feel it.
Old 5th September 2006, 04:30 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Is you system running below the driver fs?

Are you running below the resonant frequency in the box?
Old 5th September 2006, 04:37 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by zenmasterbrian
Bands would come somedays and play at our high school. The strong base went right through my gut and did something to me permanently.

Now I'm interested in even lower frequencies.
You shouldn't be. That punch is around 60-80Hz.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 5th September 2006, 04:44 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Correct you are. That was in the days when bands were using these short horn boxes, short straight sided horns. They did not go that low.

I was asking about Bogie.

Bogie, are you running below fs?

Are you running below the in box resonance?
Old 5th September 2006, 04:48 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Correct you are. That was in the days when bands were using these short horn boxes, short straight sided horns. They did not go that low.
90% of PA still doesn't go much lower than 50Hz, and if the boxes are capable of going lower, the FOH engineer usually rolls them off around there to save room problems.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 5th September 2006, 04:54 PM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Are you running below the in box resonance?
I think you're getting confused. When you run a system below resonance, it means that the box resonant frequency is lower than the Fs of the driver in an infinite baffle. This is why you nedd a ported box or electronics.
Old 5th September 2006, 05:14 PM   #28
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

In my old sonotubes, I was running the things at 18hz ported... Fs on the drivers is 21hz... System was also running through a Behringer feedback destroyer for equalization... Basically I cut high...

They would move a lot of air pretty low, but I also had a highpass, so I had to throw a lot of signal at it for the low stuff... I'm semi-seriously thinking about getting a few lengths of large PVC for when I rehab that end of the room, and building in a large transmisson line...

When does a ported system become a transmission line?

I'm not going to lose the "thump" speaks tho... I do too many concert DVDs, and I like that 60-100hz bump to be there with 'em...
Old 5th September 2006, 11:51 PM   #29
qi is offline qi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
qi, IB Cult? I don't know what to make of that. All those boxes with the back side of the woofer exposed? Are those Avalanche? I really never heard of that name and have not been able to find them.
Please stop wasting our time.

You have alot of threads going on this forum, but expect us to do all the work for you.

If you google "IB Cult Avalanche" , you will find the answers to your question above.

If you google "SVS speakers" (your question from another of your threads), you will also easily find that answer...
Old 6th September 2006, 03:59 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

pink mouse, normally you don't go below the box resonance, but there are exceptions. In my post number two I show Elliot sound products. He does purposely use a high box resonance, and then runs exclusively below it.

To Be Continued

Hide this!Advertise here!