sub amplifier problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the RCM Detonation DT 80 amplifier, and when it's on I hear a light hum, wich is not audible when music plays. I can hear it from 2/3 meters, I mean I don't put the ears on the back of the amplifier to hear it. It doesn't come from the speaker, but from the amplifier itself. Is it normal and safe? is there any quality loss in terms of sound?

thank you very much.

I've got a similar issue. I've got 5 Meyer HD-1's, all with torroids. They all used to mechanically buzz. With an isolation transormer, I looked at the quality of our locale's AC. It just sucked!!! Very viewable on a normal scope. I didn't have to take a THD reading. Lot's of ugly harmonics and asymmetrical. (Thanks PG&E). I got a 1000VA isolation transformer, because it didn't care so much about the distorted AC, and voila the Meyer's quieted down. The downside is, the transformer is a heat generator. Outside of that, I haven't noticed any ill affects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.