Big Room to Small Room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I will soon be moving back to school and will be taking my stereo with me, including both new peavey lowrider 18 subs I just built and my 4 floorstanding speakers. I was wondering how different the bass will sound when moving from a 25' by 25' basement to a 13' by 13' bedroom. Ive heard a lot about room gain but I dont quite understand it, and ive also heard people saying the bass dissapeared when moving into a smaller room unless they fire the subs into a corner or something. Any advice or opinions will be much appreciated.

Oh and about the noise complaints, I'm living in a relatively small building that houses strictly students from my college, and many of the students in my building are on the football team and I know them, so I shouldnt have to worry about them, just the restaurants across the street. :D

...ive also heard people saying the bass dissapeared when moving into a smaller room unless they fire the subs into a corner or something.
This sounds quite wrong.
The only loss will be at the new room modes and being a square room they will be fairly bad. I went from a room slightly smaller than yours and it had awesome bass, it made Blose Acoustimass sound good!
After moving into a large studio, the Bose bass had the equivalent output of headphones 3 feet away, really weak.
The room gain is probably going to drive you wild, maybe even crazy. Those 18's will be ridiculously loud, seriously overkill: aka, almost perfect:D You, depending on the floorstanders, will be happy running those full range w/o any sub, especially with the space you will have leftover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.