Small Sonotube? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2001, 09:54 PM   #11
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
I've seen the Fifth Element a few times, but not with my latest HT equipment, and Das Boot I saw when we had the *gulp* HT in a box years back. I'll have to give them both a try.

As for the house being sturdy, well, my mother collects Department 56 houses which she has arranged in a nice curio cabinet which also happens to be in the room. During some scenes it rattles like no other, but during music it seems ok. In order to make room for the amps and to keep the other equipment cooler, I'll be constructing a rack this weekend (particularly because my Meridian transport is sitting on the floor, heh heh.) I'll be making a version of the Flexy rack with one or two customized shelves, and when I get the chance, I'll be making a sand trap platform for the transport. If that goes well, I'll make some more for the other equipment.

But I'm definitely having a problem with my computer, sadly. Under no circumstances can I move it, but it also happens to be no more than 3 feet from the sub, and is also located in one of my floor's "lively" spots. Spiking the computer helped somewhat, but those deep notes still cause some rattling, and the case seems to resonate badly in the 40 hz region. Any ideas as to how I can solve my problem?
Old 7th October 2001, 02:14 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Bryan,
Time to think British...
For quite some time, the British made a practice of using (by American standards) thin-walled speaker enclosures, then damping the walls to subdue resonances. The ideal thing for your circumstance would be some adhesive bitumen pads to stick on the inside of the computer case. An alternate, and a cheap one, would be to use some of that gunk they spray under cars to deaden sound and protect against rust. Your local NAPA store will have something of this nature in a spray can.
The problem with either of these is cleaning up the case when it's time to resell the computer.
Something else you could try is a 1-2" slab of foam under the computer to absorb floor vibrations, although it won't do much for air-borne stuff. For obvious reasons, you don't want to block ventillation.
Hmmm, lemme think on this one a bit more. I'm having trouble coming up with good strategies that won't be messy. My usual response to rattles is to remove the offending item, but if that's not an option, we'll have to be more creative.

Grey
Old 8th October 2001, 04:30 PM   #13
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Computer rattles

Computer rattles I can help with! First thing to try is, open the case and make sure every screw you can find is tight. Then put it back together making sure those screws are tight. If that doesn't completely rid the problem, then try to figure out what exactly is causing the rattle. If you take the case off, does the rattle stop? If so, then either the case is loose, or its vibrating against something or something is rattling against it. Narrow it down to what's rattling, and try small pieces of foam in the area. (Between screws and items, and things like that) If you can narrow it down some more, I might be able to help further.

P.S. - THX doesn't dictate one speaker in the surround, you might be thinking of Dolby Pro-Logic, which has the surrounds in mono. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital EX both have stereo surrounds. THX just dictates what speakers to use and what amplifiers to use.
Old 8th October 2001, 06:19 PM   #14
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was referring to the 7.1 THX format. As for the case, I will open it up an a bit and take a looksy. Just one concern though. Isn't it possible that the foam can create a static charge which could damage the circuitry? Thanks.
Old 9th October 2001, 07:13 PM   #15
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

No harm done on the surround front....

As to the static issue, not really... What I'm figuring you'll end up with, the foam will be in constant contact with both parts that are causing the problem. This way, there won't be a tendency to build up static, plus, most of the items that you would be doing this to should both be at ground potential, so no build-up again. (Unless of course you've defeated the earth ground on your computer, which in that case, there's more important things to worry about then...)

There's a bigger chance you'll deliver the deadly static shock than the little pieces of rubber you'll use to deaden vibration...

Hide this!Advertise here!