Need help hooking up subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Please show me the best way to hook up my power subwoofer to my tube amp. What I have is an older tube receiver that has output for 2 speakers, an aux input, and a set of tape in/tape out.

I know that I can hook up speaker cables to the sub and from the subwoofer, connect cables to my two main speakers, but by doing that I am not getting the tube sounds that I want (I think the sound is being driven by the powersub this way instead of the tube receiver.)

I am thinking of using a RCA cable and connect from the tape out to the input of the sub and try it out that way but I am affraid that I may kill the tube receiver.

Can anyone show me a correct way to hook up my powersub with what I have without purchase additional amp/preamp, etc.....

Thank you in advance.

Hello

I was always under the impression you connect the high level input of the sub to the speaker output of your amp.All the tonal qualities of the main amp will go through to the sub.I assume your sub has high level in?, as well as low level(line).If not, you will need a pair of resisitors to drop the speaker level to line level.If I remember right,somthing like 100k and 10k in series across the output of the main speaker out and you take the signal from the point where the resistors are connected.

Google Elliott Sound Products.A mind of info

Cheers mikee55;)

Attachments

• high to low.gif
    high to low.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 116
You can use the speaker level inputs and output. The output of your tube amp will go through a highpass filter (probably something really simple like a single capacitor) and onto your main speakers.

The drawback to this approach is that your tube amplifier is still driving a full range signal. It's still powering those lower frequencies that are getting filtered out.

Ideally what you want is an active crossover to split those frequencies at line level. Then your tube amp will be driving high frequencies only.

Unfortunately, that requires not only an active crossover, but separate pre-amp and power amp. If your receiver allows you to separate the pre-amp and power amp stages you are all set, but if not it means replacing everything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.