Home sub with PA driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sometime in the near future, i intend on building myself a subwoofer, mainly for music, and for a movie every once in a while. I've set my eyes on a promising 18" PA woofer (P-Audio IMF-HP18s). The TS parameters can be found in the datasheet here .

I was thinking of putting it in a 80-100 litre box, crossing it over at about 80-85Hz, and using a Linkwitz Transform, to have some useful HT-like extension. According to WinISD, i'd reach 6mm xmax (from the rated 6.6mm) at 30Hz, producing about 105dB@40Hz, with an F3 of ~23Hz.

Would there be any reason why this would not work as expected? (just so i can rest easy that this project is 100% feasible)

It sounds very feasible; you seem to have considered all the important issues in your design.

The only question I have is why do it this way? If you add LT to the sub, you will throw away the efficiency advantage of the PA driver over an HT driver with a low Fs, and therefore will still need a big amp to drive it. If you have a strong reason to want it this way, such as price, availability, or a preference for high efficiency drivers, then by all means, it sounds like a great project :)

One of the main reasons for this choice is down to finances. While a brand-name 12-15" woofer would cost a good few hundred $, i can get this HP18s for just 150$. Not to mention the fact that most good speaker brands are quite rare around here to start with.

Plus, i'd like to keep the box on the small side; this 18" had the most xmax among the available and somewhat affordable woofers, and thus i ended up with the idea of using an LT.

Anyway, thanks for the thumbs up :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.