Home sub with PA driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Default Home sub with PA driver

Sometime in the near future, i intend on building myself a subwoofer, mainly for music, and for a movie every once in a while. I've set my eyes on a promising 18" PA woofer (P-Audio IMF-HP18s). The TS parameters can be found in the datasheet here .

I was thinking of putting it in a 80-100 litre box, crossing it over at about 80-85Hz, and using a Linkwitz Transform, to have some useful HT-like extension. According to WinISD, i'd reach 6mm xmax (from the rated 6.6mm) at 30Hz, producing about 105dB@40Hz, with an F3 of ~23Hz.

Would there be any reason why this would not work as expected? (just so i can rest easy that this project is 100% feasible)
Old 9th August 2006, 11:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It sounds very feasible; you seem to have considered all the important issues in your design.

The only question I have is why do it this way? If you add LT to the sub, you will throw away the efficiency advantage of the PA driver over an HT driver with a low Fs, and therefore will still need a big amp to drive it. If you have a strong reason to want it this way, such as price, availability, or a preference for high efficiency drivers, then by all means, it sounds like a great project
Old 9th August 2006, 11:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
One of the main reasons for this choice is down to finances. While a brand-name 12-15" woofer would cost a good few hundred $, i can get this HP18s for just 150$. Not to mention the fact that most good speaker brands are quite rare around here to start with.

Plus, i'd like to keep the box on the small side; this 18" had the most xmax among the available and somewhat affordable woofers, and thus i ended up with the idea of using an LT.

Anyway, thanks for the thumbs up
Old 12th August 2006, 08:11 PM   #4
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default I don't think you should use this driver...

...post it to me, and I'll put it to good use.
Old 14th August 2006, 07:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey Mike, drop me an email sometime soon so we can discuss the details
Old 14th August 2006, 09:04 PM   #6
mikee55 is offline mikee55  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Smile Pinging Khron

Just set up msn messenger. Send me your email address or whatever sometime so we can chat. Cheers Mikee55
Old 15th August 2006, 10:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

khron666@hotmail.com

Hide this!Advertise here!