Dayton Rss390hf-4 15" High Fidelity Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a sealed box using it. Its great in a sealed box, will work well in Transmission line, and also models well in a ported box. The SQ version is really only good in a sealed box unless you don't mind a refrigerator sized box.

I haven't had a chance to compare yet, but the 15" in a sealed box and Linkwitz transform cuircit with around 1000 watts doesn't model as loud as the 12" SQ woofer in a ported box. I have the 15" in a sealed box with a switchable Linkwitz cuircit, and I have a ported box for the 12" almost finished. I will compare the two, but have a feeling I will use the 12" in my theater.

I love these woofers though, they really are great. The frequency response is great, the build quality is great, and they souind really really good. I'm sure you have heard before that a problem with many High Excursion woofers is that they have really horrible upper bass response. The assumption is that since you crossover with a 4th order crossover at say 80hz, it doesn't matter. However, that simply isn't true, even with that crossover, take a listen to just the subwoofer playing music and see how much that sub is mucking up the mid to upper bass range. At around 105hz its only 10 decibles down. Its only 20 decibles down at near 150hz, and so this is now playing into your lower midbass region. I have used well thought of High SPL subwoofers with less linear motors and just found that they dont sound nearly as good. I think the Ten Inch speaker could be used as a serious woofer in a ten inch speaker crossed over at 500-800hz and sound great. I've considered a project just like that.

I just wanted to add that the 15" woofer in around a 4.5 cubic foot box tuned to around 20 hz and fed with something like the Dayton 1000 watt amp is really nice for a good price. It gives you a sort of shelf response, but when you take into account the crossover it becomes a pretty flat response from 20hz to say 80hz. With WinISD you get output in the 115 decible range, compared with about 112 for the 12" SQ woofer.

MisterTwister said:
Has anyone tried to remove dust cap from this woofer. I'm trying to use mine up to 800hz and dust cap has to go. utility knife not strong enough to make clean cut. any suggestions?

If you are "removing" the dust cap why not just put a couple of holes in it, heat the glue and pull it off?

Unless you plan to reattach the Dust cap later.

I've just finished my first sub: 155 litre sealed box with the Dayton driver.

Using a Reckhorn A-402 with it and it sounds great. Much tighter and cleaner than the vast majority of subs I've heard (I used to sell REL & B&W subs).

Attachments

• 03032009009vga.jpg
    03032009009vga.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,637
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.