Sub Break In - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2006, 12:46 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

So Ive come to you guys before with the same question and I still havent got it resolved. Im using an ARTCleanbox to convert from RCA to XLR and I'm still getting a buzzing noise when the knob is turned to a moderate listening level and I pause either the CD or DVD or whatever. I tried making my own cables before following diagrams and now I even spent 50 bucks on a device thinking it would clearly solve my problem. There is no such noise through my mains, so its purely the conversion from XLR to RCA and so there isnt a grounding problem with the system. Any ideas? I even pulled out the 2 xlr cables and isolated them from the rest of the cables and its still there. So I just have to live with it? I know others have do it and dont experience and problems whatsoever, so I gotta say Im very confused.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 6th August 2006, 02:15 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok so this is going to sound REALLY strange, but heres what Ive found. Turns out that the connection between my DVD player and my TV is whats causing the humming. Not the audio connection, as I have my DVD audio sent straight to the reciever, rather, its the VIDEO connection. If I turn the volume up on the speakers and subs there is absolutely no noise out of them. Then, when i connect a cable (RCA, S-video, or composite) from the video output to the tv input, I get a humming. It does it even if I run the audio cables from the DVD to reciever, and unplug the power cables for the DVD and TV from the wall, and then connect the two I still get a hum. ANY ideas at all?? Im so stumped right now, and so at the moment if I want to watch a DVD I can get the audio fine but once I run a cable from the DVD to TV I get a bad hum.

Please send help!!!
Old 6th August 2006, 12:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Real bummer. Could you come up with a diagram of the system. There's a lot of talent here. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.
Old 6th August 2006, 05:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

How important is this 'running in' business anyhow?

I'd have thought that a decent speaker would have a suspension system stable enough not to change signifcantly with use, but I may be wrong.......

As I understand it, if changes do occur, it would simply increase the compliance very slightly, minutely altering some of the T/S parameters.

I have 4 ancient HH 15" drivers which have had a real caning during their 20 year or so working life, and yet display no discernable change in free air resonance from when new.

I dunno - I await informed answers!
Old 7th August 2006, 04:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

So turns out the coax cable I had going into the tv was causing all the problems. Ive got the coax coming from the wall to the vcr, from the vcr to the cable box, and from the cable box to the tv, so I gotta check all those cables and play around with the connections.
Old 7th August 2006, 04:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

You might want to check for proper grounding where the cable comes into your house. There should be a groung block with a solid copper wire going to a copper rod in the ground.

Many times after years of lawn mowing and weed eating, the wire gets cut.
Old 4th September 2006, 03:40 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
So the real reason people have been told to break in a driver is for the purpose of T/S parameter measurements. Well why do you measure T/S? To model response and build a suitable enclosure. But if you're going by factory reccomendations, just dont care, or are expereiced and have EQ you can do reasonably well without measuring T/S

I think I've heard a claim that the spider could become undone without proper break-in but that seems like nonsense... Maybe the voicecoil glue could melt and the coil could become undone? I dont think so. It just doesnt seem like thermal power handling should change much from second 1 of use to day 356.

T/S parameters could change slightly however due to suspension changes within the initial breakin period

Hide this!Advertise here!