one amp or two?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, i'm running a Dayton DVC 15" wired for paralelled 4 ohm load in a ported 4.7 cu ft. enclosure tuned to about 20hz. it's being driven by a rythmik audio 250 basic plate amp 250 watt rms into 4 ohm load. their manual says not to use driver with less than 3 ohm dc resistance in vented enclosures but, the dayton has like 2.6 or 2.7 ohms dc resistance and heat sink gets pretty warm especially when playing cd's without being driven all that hard. what are your thoughts on getting another 250 same type amp and use one amp per coil, which will put out 150 watts into 8 ohm load into each coil and will increase the dc resistance each amp will see for improved thermal stability? does this seem like a feasable idea? or would it have too many drawbacks? Thanks for your opinions! :)

Thats exactly what I did with my old velodyne that had a plate amp. I made a little rig that had 2 12V pc fans attached to a switchable 12V transformer. I attached it to the heatsink and made it fire into the fins to get airflow. Worked like a charm, the thing never even became warm to the touch.

darn the bad luck! i got fans hooked up to amp pushed it a little harder but not much on a song with hard kick drum beats and after about 10 seconds, the plate amp cut out? heat sink was barely warm at the time and had to turn it to off and back on again? my 150 watt rms into 4 ohm plate that i have will get louder without thermal shut down than the 250 watter. any ideas maybe thermal sensing of the transformer windings? there is an extra pair of white wires on secondary side of the 250 watter of tranny, that goes to circuit board . Thanks for any ideas! :confused:

Hi,
use two amps.
there is no down side other than the cost. All else is upside.

The amps will perform better into a double value load. and they will produce more power in total than the single amp and they will produce less distortion when driving a double value load. and they will stay cooler. and the output devices will stray less far from their SOAR. and and and.

Go on, buy a second plate amp and connect each Voice Coil separately to it's dedicated amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.