"Real Life" Bass recordings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking about Tom Danley's Fireworks recording:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83844
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/110920.html

I was wondering if anybody out there has other uncompressed recordings like that which they'd be willing to contribute to the community:

-- Thunderstorms
-- Locomotives (Diesel or Steam)
-- Foghorns
-- Explosions / Demolition

Or any other real-world stuff that might have a decent amount of low bass content.

Anyone??

--Greg

davidlzimmer said:
Got this from another tread. It is uncompressed one mike. Scares my poor pooch bad. Very real sounding.

Here

That's the recording I referenced in my first post. I also just picked up that FreeSound site from AVSForum the other day. But some of the stuff on that site seems heavily manipulated. Maybe I just haven't found the right samples yet.

--Greg

I did a few diesel locos a couple of years ago onto DAT. (Would you believe I was just listening to them yesterday!) I used a couple of diy Panasonic mics straight into the line ins on the dat deck. Eventually, I got a couple of good takes (the mics were distorting just a little) but I am going to try again as soon as I make the Linkwitz-mod mics. Definitely low bass there :D

Andy Westcott said:
I've often fancied attempting a full dynamic range recording of a big diesel loco passing close by at speed - that is an impressive sound, with turbos whistling and the engines (front and rear) thundering as they pass!

Not yet figured out a way of doing it, as the equipment I have available isn't exactly portable....

I have wanted to do something like this as well.

I live within minutes of a very quiet rural location frequented by large diesel trains transporting grain at 60+ MPH.

I have some good quality Shure mics, but nothing 'portable' to record with. Maybe I should cruise eBay for an old portable mini-disc recorder....

I'm not familiar with such equipment, but does such a device exist as a hard drive recorder? I'm sure with the state of modern technology such a piece of gear could be made at a reasonable price.

After all, all it needs is a HDD, (pretty cheap these days) some digital control and processing circuitry (simple for those in the know, I'd have thought) and a high quality, low noise analogue front end.

The end user supplies the microphones.......

Also, a question: Does a mini-disc recorder record in an uncompressed format, and if so, might this be an answer to portable high quality recording gear?

"Krystal Audio Engine" is free software that emulates a 16 (or more) track console on your computer. It samples at 1440kbps.

You can record into your line input and get two tracks that can be, panned, copied, or, enhanced any way you want. Comes with nice toys. It saves files in .wav form.

Just thought it maight be an easy way to experiment. But, your right, I guess, in that your soundcard will effect the quality. But, it IS free. You might want to try it. And, if you really get into it, you can get a quality USB soundcard.

Just a thought.

Another recording I've been dying to make is the sound of ice cracking on a lake I frequent in northern Minnesota.

THe sharp crack is followed by a plummeting sweep into the infrasonic as the pulse travels into deeper water. Talk about bass you can feel! It is unreal and I dont know how I could effectively record it.

Anyone know how to make a bass-capable hydrophone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.