Dual Speaker Impedances

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lndm said:

OK :)
Whether the drivers are in series or parallel electrically, their acoustic interactions would add to increase output by between 3 and 6dB over the single driver.

Assume a total of 8ohms for each example and/or an ideal amplifier.

For the case of a matched volume setting and hence a matched voltage across the driver combos, the series drivers would each see half the voltage and hence, each driver in the series would be down by 6dB over each of the parallelled(sic?) drivers.

Yes the total voltage drop across each pair is the same, so is the current through each set. Lets assume 2.83V across and 8ohms, we all know this is one watt so with the same voltage in and the same resistance the total power in will be the same and therefore the total acoustic power out will be the same.
Yes the series woofers each see half the voltage drop of the parallel woofers but their impedances are 1/4 of the parallel drivers. The parallel woofers have 16ohms per and therefore see only half of the current of each of the series woofers:

2.83V/8ohm=.3538 amps (series and parallel total amp current)
1.415V across each series woofer with .3538amps through each.
2.83V/16ohm=.1769amps for current through parallel woofers-each.

lndm said:
nunayafb,

In the morning light I can see what you have said is completely correct, and what I said was incorrect. Due to tragic personal circumstances, I haven't been on the ball for the last four days. I humbly concede this. :worried:

I knew you knew this I figured it was a brain fart or something, hence the reason I asked you to "explain it" to give you a chance to get back "on the ball".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.