My diy Subwoofer – I didn’t see (hear) anything worse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tell me which material you prefer?

the first:

Attachments

• p1010019small.jpg
    p1010019small.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 207
Notax said:
Khm....
You did it all wrong.
Make bass-reflex box, parameters:

Vb=55 L (1.94 cu.ft) (netto volume)
Fb=52-54 Hz (53 Hz) (tuning frequency of bass-reflex tunnel)
Dt=140 mm (diameter of BR tube)
Lt=180 mm (BR tube lenght)

Good luck.

Vytas, look at my first post again.

Fb=53 Hz, Sd=531 cm2 (I supose, there is no 12" with 615 cm2) and Xp is something about 7 mm.
Now, Dt=sqr(53 Hz * 0.0531 m2 * 0.007 m)= 0.140357 m (140 mm)
In formulas, all is in SI system of measures, and you got results in SI.

I must have gotten lucky because I built a sealed sub box out of 3/4" plywood(wrong material), made it 17" X 17" X 13"(guessed at dimensions by looking at some other subs @ Parts Express), used this woofer(which is not an actual sub either), drive it with a 150hz electronic Xover I built myself(copied from Rod Elliott) and a measly single LM3886 chipamp(underpowered) with only a 96VA 48VCT transformer(again underpowered), filled it with packing foam(wrong stuff again), and it shakes my entire house.

RDV

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
vytas, how is things progressing for you?

Have you tried any of the suggested ported designs yet?
I have tried some sims and get f3 from 40 - 50Hz depending on how much bandwidth from f3 and up that can be of use without eq.

How is your setup regarding amp, filter and existing speakers you want to complement.

An interesting alternative for your woofer is a horn as William Cowan's Horn Sub Jr:
http://diy.cowanaudio.com/
Placed in corner that sub could easy hit 40Hz and with lots of sound pressure.

Here I am again… ok this project was unsuccessful… I tried to put inside solids, but did not get better results. It was even worse usually. I attached the picture of my box’s internal construction. As far as understand the construction is far, far away from perfect :) this box could be good only for dog :)

Attachments

• corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 150
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.