LOUD Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
over 100 db? you'll likely be blowin a .2

A 90lb.jackhammer's about 91-93. I'll tell ya, cause I know,when they finally do begin to fail consider your fortune if they don't ring. Just warn family and friends to get used to repeating everything. Some of us get both. Tinnitus and deafness. Wow-cool. OR tinnitus and hyperacusis, where normal conversation tones require you to wear ear plugs.

As a cry out here in the widerness, do not subject your ears to this!
Notice how they recover and lower volumn is satisfying?
Take it easy. Consider yourself warned.
Been there/done that.

A jackhammer does not have a max SPL of 91db!!!!

I have an adire Tumult and winISD predicts ~120db SPLmax at 1 meter halfspace anechoic... Never felt my eardrums vibrating from it and my hearing is just fine after even prolonged use at high levels(no ringing or dullness).

Now in cars I've experienced pleanty of systems that would make your brain rattle and ear drums feel like they're about to explode. I know people who enjoy these types of levels(and I think they're crazy)... When you start to feel your eardrum vibrate... its time to turn it down

I know that feeling, I've been to many auto racing events like NHRA dragracing with 8,000Hp and boy let me tell you, you can actually feel the fluids in your eardrum vibrating, so you obviously use protection, especially because it tends to be an all day event.

Please realize something here guys, I'm not a complete idiot. I'm not going to be playing these things at maximum volume every time I turn it on. I simply have put far too much money into my system already, and I feel like I can't stop now. I want something that will be able to take lots of abuse as I bring it to college for parties and movies and wont break down on me. I may seem dumb to you but I'm studying mechanical enineering and Id like to think I have at least a grain of common sense.

Ok guys last question. Since this is more of a music sub than a HT sub, is a sonosub a good idea? I would imagine that a sonosub would be more of a muddy, boomy bass as the driver is facing the ground instead of the listener. I'm willing to make the enclosures out of either sonotube or birch ply, even though the ply would be more money. I just want what would sound better for my application.

Thanks a bunch!

Also, does it make more sense for me to buy something like a Samson pro amp that puts out 750W/ch at 8 ohms for 600 bucks, or do I buy 2 EP2500's and run each in bridged mono mode that puts out 2400W/ch at 4 ohms, which would slo cost me around 600 bucks. In terms of money vs. power there doesnt seem to be much of a question, but is there something im missing?

With the EP2500, I'd feel more confident running them at 4 ohm/channel loads; they definitely skimped a little on the size of the power transformer (compared to the nearly identical QSC model.

Another sub to consider is the Adire Tempest "classic"; shipping is only $1 in the US: http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=tempest Classic
But those Daytons and Assassins don't look bad either. Four or more of any of those should move lots of air and give you good efficiency and power-handling. And they'll go nice and low too, so you can play some of the infamous demos like F'in Irene.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.