how do i cut sonotube and keep the cut straight ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A piece of masking tape works wonders as a guide. A steady hand and a box cutter should do the trick. You could always cut it a little long and file or even sand it down, too. I just got a dremel I'm going to try next but again, steady hand. Also, a few of my saws come with edge guides one could place on the other side.

go with poobahs advice - masking tape is not easy for a nice straight egde.
I would cut using a fairly fine tooth sandvik saw, about 16" minimum.
Boxcutters on sonotube...naahhh, broken blades, cut fingers come to mind.

Also - I cut a lot of ABS by hand - cut to below the thickness of the material, then turn the tube, and cut following the previous cut channel and the pencil mark, continue that way. It is easier to follw the line thean trying to cut through the whole tube from the start position.

Masking tape or duck tape won't establish a line that is truely perpendicular to the tube. The long piece of paper will... if you don't have paper, a piece of kitchen foil will work too.

Following the line with a saw is problem #2. Getting a good line to follow is problem #1.

;)

The way I do it is to clamp a piece of wood to the table saw fence that's at least as tall as the tube's diameter.

Also clamp a piece of wood to the miter gage that's at least half the diameter of the tube.

Push the tube into the blade to start the cut, then rotate it around to complete.

zuki said:
what is the secret magic trick to this ?

thank you :confused:

;)
Shawn

Attachments

• sonotube.jpg
    sonotube.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 395
The easy way to draw a line on any size tubing is to use something that slips over the tube and trace around. Of course you wont be able to find any fittings so cut 6-12in off one end (slit it full length) and use the uncut end of this piece as a "straight edge", tape it on and draw the line. Then measure the thickness of the blade and the distance from blade to edge of jigsaw base(if your using a jigsaw) place the good edge of the sonotube this combined distance from the cut line and you have the worlds first circular fence.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.