Cowan horn sub jr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
G'day Guys

Well I've tried a few of them :)

In a domestic environment where they can be pointed into a corner, they work very well. A few hundred watts into one of these horns will give you some serious levels of high quality bass (flat from 40 to 150Hz). If they aren't faced into a corner, don't expect too much below 55Hz from them. They are a very compromised bass horn that really needs a corner to work as expected. Many 15" drivers seem to work well. Let hornresponse guide you.

Cheers

William Cowan

Hi William

I just checked http://www.etonesound.com/ and the Etone 135 is not listed.
They do have a 10 inch Etone 1020 for only $A 71! that sounds too cheap to be good?

Voice coil 50 mm (2.0 inch), high temperature copper wire
Sensitivity 98 dB/W/M

It’d need a revised design. But do these TS listed, seem suitable for 40 to 150 Hz
Fo 70 Hz
BL 17 TM
Qms 4.18
Qts 0.23
Vas 30 Litres

Thanks

hi cowan how is sub jr compared to a 15"tapped horn?
As William said four years ago: "Let hornresponse guide you".
Also:
" If they aren't faced into a corner, don't expect too much below 55Hz from them. They are a very compromised bass horn that really needs a corner to work as expected."

Comparing a corner horn to (which of the dozens?) a 15" tapped horn is useless.

As William said four years ago: "Let hornresponse guide you".
Also:
" If they aren't faced into a corner, don't expect too much below 55Hz from them. They are a very compromised bass horn that really needs a corner to work as expected."

Comparing a corner horn to (which of the dozens?) a 15" tapped horn is useless.

Couldn't have summed it up better myself.

One noteable difference worth noting is that a FLH offers better driver protection below cutoff. Today when we routinely use DSP to manage loudspeaker systems that probably doesn't matter either.

Cheers

William Cowan

Couldn't have summed it up better myself.

One noteable difference worth noting is that a FLH offers better driver protection below cutoff. Today when we routinely use DSP to manage loudspeaker systems that probably doesn't matter either.

Cheers

William Cowan
William,

Funny, I designed a 2x10" FLH similar to the Horn sub Jr, back around 2000 a loose amplifier power supply capacitor temporarily shorted (full DC PSU voltage to the speakers) and caused the speakers to tear due to the air resistance the chambers provided.
Sounded like a shotgun.
All the voice coils were intact, I was able to glue on rings of "donor" cones to repair the speakers.

Although a small FLH chamber reduces excursion below FC, it does not always mean more protection, I think the speakers may have survived in a BR or TH.

Hello William

On the note of comparing design principles I'm curious about how you regard the character differences (not obvious in simulations) between the THAM15 and the hornsub jr, given that they are both loaded with 15" drivers and share a somewhat similar footprint and size?

My reason for asking is that I've grown increasingly interested in FLH's while understanding that the size to LF extension ratio and sound characteristics is somewhat different.

This question is rather OT, and if the thread creator or participants feels that it is inappropriate then please dismiss it, no harm done.

Either way, very interesting design, thanks for sharing it.

respectfully / martinsson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.