bandpass subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wanted to verify this with someone here. I have been reading that it is not necessary to use a crossover with a bandpass subwoofer (4th or 6th order) as the box itself filters out unnecessary frequencies. Is this true? If so, do you not even hear the unwanted frequencies? Thanks.

Dave

ya, like daatkins said, the box wont filter out everything, many subs, particularly those made of a fiber like glass, kevlar, carbon etc will have a built in resonance of between very roughly 1k-3khz and will have peaks there that the box may not quite filter out correctly. luckily, most car sub amps have a LPF and some have a subsonic filter too, so you can dial it in to suit the box. by electronically filtering out the subsonic frequencies, you can potentially get more gain out of it because those low frequencies you're filtering out need more power to drive. food for thought..

IME, bandpass boxes need filtering, too.

My Tannoy T40 (with Eminence Kilomax driver) has severe resonances out-of-band, which really made it sound bad: a 12dB peak at 400Hz, and another ~10dB at 800Hz? No thanks.

It took some very aggressive notch filters and steep crossovers to get shut of the resonances, but I've finally dialed it in, and it sounds lovely.

Chris

I have been reading that it is not necessary to use a crossover with a bandpass subwoofer (4th or 6th order) as the box itself filters out unnecessary frequencies. Is this true?...
Yes, you don't have to use a traditional crossover, if that's what you are asking, like you would use for a 2 or 3-Way. Make sure to use a 1 order cap filter to filter unwanted frequencies in the passband. Also to be more accurate in your understanding try to model (various drivers) output and frequencies, phase shift and all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.