This isn't damaging my system is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I have a Creative Inspire 5800 5.1 audio system, same one here: http://creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=25&product=10596

What I did was take an older sub box from creative I had, threw in a second subwoofer, so now there are two in the cube, and added a hookup on the side so I can just connect it to whatever (See the pics below to see what I mean) I stole the hookups from a pair of outdoor speakers, thats why it's rather dingy looking, but it works.

I did the same with the 5800's sub box, added a hookup that ties right into the sub, so I can connect the 2 sub box I made. It all works fine, all 3 subs move nicely and sound nice, but was worried, am I overloading my 5800's amp?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,
it depends on the protection built into the 5800 amplifier.

Your 22W 5800 sub // additional driver will lower the impedance so that the protection operates more often.

In an active system this only produces distortion on the protected channel (with a bit of intermodulation through the PSU to the other channels) and so passes almost un-noticed.
This inaudible characteristic allows discos to play very loud but they have bullit proof amps (or should have).
Your's are very likely to blow up if pushed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.