need help with music sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a sub to put some serious low end in to match my Selenium 15CO1Ps. I need it basically to give me the obnoxious level of bass required for parties - I know it's not the most musical thing around, but it's what we need for the system.

So, basically we're talking about moving a lot of air, so I think a 15" sub is the best option for me, besides maybe a complicated labhorn setup, but I don't really want to go down that path.

Catch is - I already have amplification in the form of a Crown XLS-202 - good for about 500w @ 8 ohms. I don't want to get any clipping while the sub is driving hard, so I don't want to get a driver too far past that power handling.

My budget for a driver is around $200, and a few people have already suggested looking into Adire's Tempests, which look great (if a bit more HT than music oriented). I've been looking at Selenium drivers too to match the rest of my set, specifically the 15SW2P-SLF

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-386&ctab=4#Tabs

do you think that'll treat me right? Or am I way off track here?

I have actually thought of a horn, I was wondering if someone was going to bring it up.

They can produce some pretty impressive output with smaller drivers. The tradeoff is in the size and complexity of the cabinet design right? Eminence sells a 12" sub designed to be used in a horn configuration that I was very curious about, but I don't have much experience with horns, especially not on subs.

Would I be looking at a better sounding sub if I went that route?

it says it's optimized for horn loaded enclosures. My original plan was just a normal ported front-firing box. I'm not sure on the size or venting yet but it depends on the driver, clearly.

I am pretty impressed with the numbers on that monster though. BIG SPL mostly. It's cheaper than the Selenium driver too. Maybe bumping it up another notch to 18" is the right way to go.

What about something like this.Loud as hell for music.It was fairly cheap to build and its perfect from 40hz to 110 hz that I use it for.

Attachments

• almost done 036.jpg
    almost done 036.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 257
No sorry.My first crack at anything but car audio.All I can say is nothing like it.A buddy had a cheap radio shack spl meter(we laughed too)and it maxed out at 126db with only 400 watts to box at 30 feet away.His amp is plenty if you get the sensitivity up there.I built that for under $300.I could use more power but it honestly can get drowned out by these.Try it Epalla I think you'll be surprised.

Attachments

• dr250's 003.jpg
    dr250's 003.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 208
I have also considered doing that - two 15" drivers on half the power instead of a single driver with more. Thing is - I've run my 15CO1Ps off the sub channel with some reasonable success, and even those very efficient speakers don't produce the kind of bass on half the amp that I want. Then again, they are 8 ohm and they're not subwoofers.

Having two subs would make it easier to fill the room, but it also stretches the budget or forces me to compromise on quality if I get the same size drivers. My thinking at the moment is to stick with a single larger driver.

I think I remember seeing your thread about that sub, I'll have to look around to find it and see what you've got there. I'm very open to doing any kind of box design to amplify the power of the sub, as space is not an issue - so a horn might be the way to go, though it might change the driver selection a little.

I'm still curious about that 18" driver. Can anyone give me a reason why for my application I wouldn't want to get that instead of the Selenium 15" driver? It's cheaper, higher SPL, better frequency response and the power handling more closely resembles what I can give it. I've heard a lot about Dayton subs but never used them - it's a good name, and that one isn't from a subpar line as far as I know...

I wasn't saying for sure that's the spl reading as it was a cheap radio shack model but i'm sure its not ridiculously off..As for 18"(they do look good though) I just couldn't find one that dollar for dollar sounded as good as a 12" or 15",but that's just me.These are Eminence Delta 15"lfa's.I got them for $68.00 a piece and you can use expensive plywood and finish but mine are on tugboat so I kept it cheap.Now if man hours are worth anything there worth alot to me.It took me 30 hours to build.You should ask around for somebody in your area that has these that you can hear for yourself.I'm in Windsor,On.Now remember the golden rule kept simple,loud and small don't go together.This is 3'x3'x3' try even fitting that thru a door.Good luck with whatever you choose.

both the 18s are rated at 97dB. I'm definitely leaning towards the Peavey 18" though. It's around my original price - it's a brand I know, it has HUGE SPL and the power handling isn't too much over what I can give it, so I probably won't get clipping.

What do you think about the cabinet for it? Does it lend itself to a horn enclosure or should I stick with a standard ported box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.