BASH Plate Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2006, 07:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default BASH Plate Amp

Has anybody heard anything about this amp?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-752

Seems like a good price for what it is. Also, does anybody have any suggestions for amps? I mean, I could get this 500watt amp for 200 bucks, or I could go with something like a used Adcom 555 stereo amp thats like 250 watts for twice the price. I've also seem amps that were $2,000 that put out 80 watts per channel. How does that work? Is there a difference between the current to voltage relationship between amps? I mean, an amp could put out lots of voltage but not much current and be rated at like 1000 watts, but probably wouldnt have as much control over a speaker as a similar amp thats putting out much more current and less voltage, correct? Is that where price comes into play?
Old 27th June 2006, 08:14 PM   #2
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in this myself. Why are plate amps so cheap?

My suspicion is that trade-offs have been made that allow plate amps to deliver high power at a low cost, but in a way that makes them suitable only for low frequencies.
Old 28th June 2006, 04:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's like anything else. Most are mass produced in china and cost are kept very low. Most are just as good as others. There isnt alot of parts that make up a sub amp anyway price wise. I have heard a $250 plate amp blow away a carver amp thump wise. Used on the same 12 inch woofer! There is a guy here in Va that bought one of those $29 plate amps from parts expree. He chaged $15 worht of parts, and put a heat sink on it and it will blow you away!!
Old 28th June 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
hooha is offline hooha  Canada
diyAudio Member

The BASH amps are made in Ontario. I had the liberty of chatting with one of the engineers there. Those amps you see at Parts Express are custom built with extra protection features to ensure the amp doesn't go *poof* if/when a mistake happens.

Probably worth the few extra bucks vs. the other plate amps they sell. The other alternative to this would be acquiring a good used pro amp which would probably have more to it than the BASH...

Mark
Old 28th June 2006, 05:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just received my Bash 500 in the mail a day or so ago, along with my 12" XLS. Hopefully in a week or two...or five, my sub will be complete and I will share my results.
Old 29th June 2006, 04:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

i hear they are pretty good, and it's about time there was a class D sub amp. i was planning to power a future Sonotube TL project with a Bash 300
Old 29th June 2006, 05:43 AM   #7
gmikol is offline gmikol  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bikehorn
i hear they are pretty good, and it's about time there was a class D sub amp.
It sounds like a great amp, and my understanding is that it's really efficient, but it's not Class D. AFAIK it's a Class H (Class AB output stage with power supply rails that track the input signal) with a SMPS.

The SMPS is where most of the weight and efficiency savings are.

--Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!