BASH Plate Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody heard anything about this amp?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-752

Seems like a good price for what it is. Also, does anybody have any suggestions for amps? I mean, I could get this 500watt amp for 200 bucks, or I could go with something like a used Adcom 555 stereo amp thats like 250 watts for twice the price. I've also seem amps that were $2,000 that put out 80 watts per channel. How does that work? Is there a difference between the current to voltage relationship between amps? I mean, an amp could put out lots of voltage but not much current and be rated at like 1000 watts, but probably wouldnt have as much control over a speaker as a similar amp thats putting out much more current and less voltage, correct? Is that where price comes into play?

It's like anything else. Most are mass produced in china and cost are kept very low. Most are just as good as others. There isnt alot of parts that make up a sub amp anyway price wise. I have heard a $250 plate amp blow away a carver amp thump wise. Used on the same 12 inch woofer! There is a guy here in Va that bought one of those $29 plate amps from parts expree. He chaged $15 worht of parts, and put a heat sink on it and it will blow you away!!

The BASH amps are made in Ontario. I had the liberty of chatting with one of the engineers there. Those amps you see at Parts Express are custom built with extra protection features to ensure the amp doesn't go *poof* if/when a mistake happens.

Probably worth the few extra bucks vs. the other plate amps they sell. The other alternative to this would be acquiring a good used pro amp which would probably have more to it than the BASH...

Mark

bikehorn said:
i hear they are pretty good, and it's about time there was a class D sub amp.

It sounds like a great amp, and my understanding is that it's really efficient, but it's not Class D. AFAIK it's a Class H (Class AB output stage with power supply rails that track the input signal) with a SMPS.

The SMPS is where most of the weight and efficiency savings are.

--Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.