Tempted to build a sub out of JL Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Some of you may remember various threads I made on here involving my hexagonal case, and that's been sitting happily in my home cinema with a 12" BK Elec driver for a while now.

Today I obtained a 10" JL Audio sub driver (10W0 model) for £2 from a car boot sale (I like bargains me :D ), got it home, hooked it up to my sub's power amp and held it in free air while it seemed to work beautifully.

My question is, is it worth me buying some MDF and knocking up an enclosure?

JL's site has provided ALL the specs, all I could ever need, including cabinet dimensions, see here:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10_12_15W0_MAN.pdf

Based on those T&S parameters, etc, would you informed lot reckon that it will work in a home cinema environment if I was to build the ported box? :)

Cheers

Edit: Wow I want one of these http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=14 :angel:

Hi,

My modelling indicates a 50L box with a port the same
size as the 35L box (tuning it to 25Hz) would work well.

Q for the driver in a sealed 35L box is 0.7, too high IMO
for reflex loading, unless you tune the port very low.

However I'm not into home cinema boom boxes, may
be that the recommended boxes would work for home
cinema, but IMO they are not good for music.

:)/sreten.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

I think so as long as you're not expecting to get DD/DTS reference level performance out of it, though it won't be particularly small (~6 ft^3) and I recommend making it out of 19 mm Baltic Birch or similar to keep from having to brace/mass load it so much:

L = 74.81"
CSA = 136.656"^2 (recommend 14.875" x 9.187")
vent = 4" pipe x 12"

Driver at one end and vent at the other tunes it to ~18 Hz and though it will sim with some peaking at Fb, the VC will be heated up enough that combined with nominal stuffing it will in theory be 'tight' enough for music if the room doesn't cause it to be too 'boomy', though most rooms tend to 'bleed out' down this low. Anyway, damping the vent will solve the problem.

GM

I had 3 10w0's in my car at one point. had them in an spl competition that i made a ported box for just for the competition. set up behind my seats with around 600 watts going to them i managed to hit 138 db. and that's with a cassette deck as the source unit around 10 years ago!! when i had them in a sealed box in my trunk for sound quality they were extremely tight and sounded great. not the lowest extension, but man o man. what i'd give to have a stereo like that in my car again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.