Sonotube Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy,

So, I built one of my subs in a 9.5 cubic foot vented box, and after days of fiddling with port lengths and flare rates, etc.....I gotta say that I'm not so impressed. Ive got an identical driver sitting on the floor and I wanna do some experimenting/comparing. I've been reading about sonotube subwoofers and how amazing they seem to sound, and I kinda wanna build one myself. The current box is a MONSTER so a sonotube wont be that big of a change for me, plus its in a 25' by 25' basement. The only problem is, how do I figure out dimensions for it? Mainly things like tube diameter, port diameter, and tube length. Are there programs out there to simulate such things? I mean, materials for one dont seem to the that expensive as its mainly just sonotube and MDF I need to buy, because I've already got the driver, amp, and crossover covered. Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks,

Devin

I dont know how old you are but bazooka used to make a "supertube". It was 2 6 inch subs that played soooo low. I would think if you could corner load it somehow it would do well. They also don't require huge amounts of power. The port configuration was the most interesting part though.

So I'm thinking something like mounting one driver on top one on bottom, with an 8 inch port on the bottom thats about 24 inches in length. Also, a 500 liter tube thats 24 inches in diameter, which means one thats about 72.3 inches in length. Thats a big mother!! Especially since when its got legs and stuff its around 78 inches, and my basement ceiling is 83!Still, Can anyone run those numbers for me and see if they make any sense? Thats based purely on what ive seen others do, so I have no idea how to model it or anything, or if those numbers make any sense. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

There's an on-line SonoSub calculator that you can use to determine size requirements. But as you said, not knowing the parameters of the driver will make designing a proper enclosure difficult.

If you go to Snell's site you will notice the size of the Sub1800 measures 45" x 21.5" x 17". Less wall thickness that's ~7 cubic feet. It doesn't say anything about the box design, but looking at the picture I would assume sealed. I believe Snell used sealed enclosures for many of their desings.

Mark

I'm still having trouble getting T/S params for the drivers, so let me ask this. Is there a ballpark estimate for volume for 2 18 inch drivers? For what its worth the cones are real stiff and there isnt much travel on them compared to other 18's I've seen, but theyre real tight and clean. I know this is a horrible question, but I know I'm sittin on 2 great subs and so far I havent gotten much out of em, and its really irritating considering I spent over a grand so far and have basically nothing to show for it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Devin

well , i doubt it will have ANYTHING at 18hz like the spex says, if its tuned to about 28hz. so someones lieing....somewhere.

i think you should just measure the t/s parameters yourself! i dont know how to do it, but im sure someone else woudl be more than happy to give you a link.

The results will be as accurate as the measurements you take. Here are a couple of tips when doing your measurements:

- When measuring Re, its best if you place the driver flat down on a table so there is minimal movement of the cone.

- When measuring Fs, keep the driver as vertical and stationary as possible. Make sure you do this in a quiet room because the driver will act as a microphone.

- Use the TSPARAM spreadsheet - its easier ;)

One other suggestion is why not just duplicate the Snell design? The Snell box is probably the best suited for the driver, and since you have the size and length of the port the rest is trivial.

Mark

I did my best to copy their design, but it just doesn't sound quite right. I'm sure Snell had some trickes they used to make their speakers sound amazing, but simply copying their box volume just didnt work out for me, so from what I've heard Sonosubs are absolutely earth shaking.

Probably its Fb=18 Hz (tuning freq.). Because of 18" bass and SPL 89 dB.

For example:

Sd=845 cm2
Re=6.2 Ohm
BL=18.2 N/A
Fs=16 Hz
Qes=0.382
Qts=0.35
Qms=4.18
Vas=487 L
Cms=0.487 mm/N
Mms=203 gr
SPL=89 dB/1W/1m

For this example (with some corrections):

Vb=206 L
Fb=18 Hz
Dt=120 mm
Lt=410 mm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.