Construction technique straight horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How large?

Construction techniques vary with the size of your straight horn.

When I fabricate a large square horn, I form the side walls as if I were framing curved walls in a house. Lay out the curves on a plywood base and screw in full length studs (mouth height length) every 12 inches or so along that curve. Add the top sheets of plywood (it has a matching set of curves drawn on the bottom). Plumb the studs with a level and attach to the plywood top.

The top and bottom walls can be laid out with the same template you used to form the side walls. Just turn the template sideways, make certain the axis is level and centered in the throat and mouth (I'm assuming that the floor and ceiling is level), then running your level perpendicular to the template and towards the stud sidewalls, mark along the vertical horn wall studs where you want the horizontal framing members to go. Watch out for the gap created by the flat side of the level as it lays in the template curve; stay on the correct side of the stud (the side that faces the throat).

Sheath and dampen with plaster/concrete everything when the framing is completed. It's useful to set the framing members in 12" modules on a large horn, go for shorter distances in a smaller horn.

John:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.