REL Quake driver specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Sorry if you misunderstood my joke, but I was making a point. Yes, I've measured them, and my end results match up well to those measurements, but as far as any reader of this is concerned, my results may be equally as wrong, right or imaginary as the published ones.

My point was- this is all just bytes whizzing across the ether, don't take anything you read on the internet as fact, test for yourself. :)

Hi

I still have four of these drivers and want to build two active subs.

Pinkmoose's isobarik design is too large (for me) at circa 45 litres, given that one of the drivers protudes from the bottom, raising the cabinet base considerably.

Are there any other suggestions apart from a single downfiring driver with LT correction? How about running two drivers working on opposite sides? Maybe with one being passive? I would like to keep to an internal volume of 20 - 30 litres.

If I am going to go with a single downfiring design, I may change my plans and splash out on those Monolith drivers on ebay.

Best wishes.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The isobarik configuration is useful here as it halves the required box volume. Any other configuration of two drivers will double the needed box size. The high Vas is the killer here. I don't have time to sim it, but you could try a smaller sealed box, again isobarik, but with EQ, that might suit you better.

Could I use a design like this?
What internal volume would I need? In main chamber? In chamber between drivers?
"Bass is claimed as being tighter, faster, more accurate and more pure" This suits me as it will be used for music duties.

Attachments

• isobaric.gif
    isobaric.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 290
Michael, in response to your message, I'm happy to help. I would just make the cabinet as big as you can then let the Linkwitz Transform do the work.

Here is the modelled response using the data measured by Pinkmouse.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I went for 25 litres as by the time bracing and electronics are accounted for you will be upto about 30 litres net, which was your upper limit I believe.

As Fc is approx 78 Hz I would aim for an octave lower which will require approx 12 dB gain. This should be quite nice for music in a small-medium sized room.

This is all ballpark stuff. Once you build the real enclosure you should measure Fc and Qtc and design the Linkwitz Transform from that data.

I have a box design spreadsheet on my website that might be useful. It's in .ods format which is OpenOffice 2 (free).

well been as i have 2 more of these drivers ,i have started again .I have put pinkmouses figures into winsd and have been thinking about an isobaric configuration using a QB3 alignment which gives the following results
Vbox 39.55l
Tuning F 34.54Hz
Port D 8.2cm
Port L 27.49
I was going to use an EBS alignment but winsd was giving a larger box volume of 88.19l which was undesirable . I have made a box out of some old chipboard as a test and hopefully will have it up and running in few days .Will let you know if it works.:)
andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.