Pro Audio Equipment In the Home

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CARTRulz said:
Hi guys,

I've got another silly question. As I was about to order the EP2500 I saw this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-722

So, do you guys have any opinions on using pro audio amps and equalizers in the home? All of these things use XLR inputs, so I'm assuming I have to buy XLR to RCA adapters, correct? Are there any problems with this setup?

Thanks.

I run all balanced stuff at home. If you look at lots of the amps that are currently being built on this forum, some have balanced inputs and some are singled ended. ( ie Rca ) You don't have to buy any thing special you can build your own adapters if some of your existing audio gear is RCA. My aleph amps ( pass labs designs ) are all balanced..

Yeah some help on building them would be great. Currently, all my stuff is RCA as its all home audio. Im adding the EP2500 to power 2 Snell SUB1800's that I just built, and I'm looking at something like that Behringer EQ as my old 6 band equalizer just crapped out.

CARTRulz said:
Yeah some help on building them would be great. Currently, all my stuff is RCA as its all home audio. Im adding the EP2500 to power 2 Snell SUB1800's that I just built, and I'm looking at something like that Behringer EQ as my old 6 band equalizer just crapped out.

Yup i can help no problem there. All you ned is the opposite xlr connector that is on the back of the eq that you buy.

Very cool, now Ive got one last question. Im looking at these EQ's, and theres a version of that behringer that has "limiters" which is $180 and then theres one without "limitors" for $130. What the hell are limitors? Is it worth the extra 50 bucks? Also, is there any audio quality loss when converting from XLR to RCA? Does it make more sense to just buy a 6 band graphic equalizer for home audio for about the same price?

Thanks again.

CARTRulz said:
Very cool, now Ive got one last question. Im looking at these EQ's, and theres a version of that behringer that has "limiters" which is $180 and then theres one without "limitors" for $130. What the hell are limitors? Is it worth the extra 50 bucks? Also, is there any audio quality loss when converting from XLR to RCA? Does it make more sense to just buy a 6 band graphic equalizer for home audio for about the same price?

The reason for the limiter is so as not to overload the power amplifiers - it's not a concern for domestic use, but for PA use it's very much a concern - as you have a much wider dynamic range.

A six band graphic is pretty poor?, presumably the Behringer one is much larger?.

No problems XLR to RCA, it's all just audio anyway!.

So I went ahead and ordered some of these:

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=Adpt-Mx-Rcf&preadd=action

And these:

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=AdptFx-Rf&preadd=action

And Im getting humming at moderate to high volumes. Any ideas? Should I buy something like this instead?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref=sr_1_2/103-1274210-1989462?_encoding=UTF8
The EQ has a option to boost or reduce signal level +/-15db, so losing signal level doesnt seem like its that big of a deal if it gets rid of the humming.

Thanks.

CARTRulz said:
Plus every single component in my system is 3 pronged and plugged into a surge supressor.

I hate these little problems.

That probably why, you may have an earth loop - you should only have a single earth on all the connected equipment. Obviously it's NOT recommended to disconnect the power earths, so you can interconnect with a screened lead with the screen only connected at ONE end.

I have Behringer EP2500 and Ultracurve DEQ2496 for home use. I recommend both.

I would not run balanced unless you need to since there is a circuit involved and more components added in the signal path.

If you have worked out where all your audio components will go, then I would make DIY cables and make them to the correct length with an XLR on one end, RCA on the other, or as required. It's simple, cost effective and neat.

6 band graphic eq is pretty useless.

Ultracurve is very powerful. Put a mic in the listening position and it will auto EQ the whole thing flat! It will remove peaks from room modes, fix up anything that the crossovers didn't quite get right and balance room effects so the tonal balance is much more neutral and natural.

It has dynamic eq which can tailor the response at different SPL levels to match the changing sensitivity of the ear. It can boost bass at low levels then remove the boost as you turn it up. It can reduce treble to make it sound more laid back when you crank it up.

Limiters can be useful at home. I use it to protect my main amp which is a bit lacking in power. It tames the peaks and reduces concern when I push things.

Forget those graphic eq units, I would go ultracurve, it is very powerful. It can do quite a bit more than I've mentioned here.

The EP2500 amp is a great buy. I would not consider another amp for subs. Excellent value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.