Pro Audio Equipment In the Home - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2006, 10:24 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Ok so I'm about ready to give up.

I just purchased 3 of the RCA to 1/4 inch cables becasue i heard they would solve my problems. Not only is the audio quality much lower, but the humming is even worse. So theres another 50 bucks wasted. If this is the case, how does anybody use pro audion stuff in the home? I've tried both xlr to rca and 1/4 inch to rca and nothing has worked.

Somebody help me please!
Old 23rd June 2006, 04:21 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

You should not need to use balanced cables for home use since the runs would be short. Using those adaptors won't fix hum issues. You will have to do some trouble shooting, make lots of changes until you isolate where it is coming from. Don't give up just yet.
Old 23rd June 2006, 09:14 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulspencer
I would not run balanced unless you need to since there is a circuit involved and more components added in the signal path.
The signal passes through the same electronics no matter if its ballanced or not. You don't bypass anything by feeding an unballanced signal into a ballanced input.

Running ballanced DOES help with ground loop induced noise as you can earth lift one of the ends. Its why pro audio is all ballanced as you can never rely on the earth in a venue being any good.
Old 23rd June 2006, 10:25 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Well its definetly coming from the cables as the noise changes when i slide the 1/4 inch jacks in and out of their outlets. I cant imagine how its a grounding issue because before I introduced the pro audio components i had just standars RCA's everywhere and I never had a problem. Then i added the ep2500 and the ultragraph pro and everything went to hell.
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:20 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Use ballanced between the ultragraph and the amp and flick the earth lift switch on the amp.
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:13 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ok let me explain the setup. Ive got 2 technics amps that are pushing 4 floor standing technics speakers (one pair per amp), and i then have the signal split to a paradigm crossover to the ep2500 to power the subs. So basically, I have 6 connection points (equalizer ins and outs, and the 2 ins for the ep2500) that need to be adapted from either rca to xlr, or rca to 1/4 inch. Also, the ultragraph equalizer is the main eq for the 2 technics amps. So basically, the humming is not only for the 2 subs, but its for the entire system through all floorstanding speakers as well. So there isnt a chance to run balanced between eq and sub because there isnt a connection. ALSO, i just checked the amp and there isnt an earth lift switch, and even so then im still stuck with the problem of the EQ humming.

Thanks so much guys!
Old 24th June 2006, 09:11 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

It's ESSENTIAL! to only have ONE earth connection for the entire system, this isn't just for pro gear, it's for domestic gear as well. If you have more than one earth, then current passing through the ground connections induces hum into the audio - it's a well known effect.

Pro-gear often overcomes it by using 'ground lift' switches, which disconnect the ground on the input socket, effectively disconnecting the screen at one end. Domestic gear is often made as 'class II' with no earth connection at all.
Old 24th June 2006, 02:49 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCatSound

The signal passes through the same electronics no matter if its ballanced or not. You don't bypass anything by feeding an unballanced signal into a ballanced input.
As I understand, balanced outputs mean that additional circuits are added in the signal path to the balanced output jacks. If the unbalanced outputs are used from a unit, then surely these circuits would be bypassed and not in the signal path.

I don't have any special knowledge on this, however, it seems logical that it would be done this way. If you can back up that statement, then please do fill me in.
Old 24th June 2006, 05:13 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Ok last question for you guys. I cant seem to find an earth or ground lift switch on either the ep2500 or the ultragraph pro. Does this mean i need to drop another 50 bucks on one of these "clean boxes" or DI boxes to be able to use an earth lift switch?
Old 24th June 2006, 07:17 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

No, simply remove the screen connection from one end of the interconnecting cables (which is basically what a 'ground lift' switch does).

Hide this!Advertise here!