Can a pro audio/dj amp be used with a subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Absolutely!

Certainly they can be used, and with the caveat which I'll name shortly, that's what I would recommend instead of a consumer amp, because you get so much more for your money. Of course it's already been mentioned that most have 1/4" or XLR inputs, so you will need a cable which adapts that to RCA, not a huge problem there.

The caveat you should beware of is that some pro amps have loud fans inside them. I imagine some are variable speed, such as on my Kenwood THX consumer amp, only coming up to high speed when needed, but some are a fixed speed and always on. If the amp is quite some distance away from you, in a relatively closed cabinet, or in another room, no problem. In my case it would be none of the above, and I'd hear it during quiet passages.

Aaron Gilbert

One note of caution.

If your sub is ported then watch out for overexcursion due to frequencies below the F-r. Better pro amps include a high pass filter that you can set to match the lowest usable frequency response of your driver. This is more of a concern with a TT. A warped LP can create some huge low frequency signals and with the power these big amps produce your subwoofer can tear itself to pieces trying to reproduce the warp.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.