What do do with my Cambridge woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Cambridge Ensemble I speakers which will soon be in use. I've heard 'em before; they're great speakers, with great subwoofers. However, I also happen to have one of the woofers included with the (not quite as good) Model II ensemble speakers.

I'm also having someone build me a pair of Tang-Band based TL's. The W3-871S, although a fullrange speaker, has iffy bass at best. Hence, the need for a discrete subwoofer.

So, how should I go about doing this? Should I wire them through the internal passthrough in the Cambridge woofer, at the risk of degredation of sound quality, or mod the Cambridge with a plate-amp so that I could run them seperately?

Or should I get off my lazy *** and build a subwoofer?

Thanks,
Joe.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
quote:

New Ensemble II has one subwoofer cabinet that encloses two 6 1/2-inch woofers in a single enclosure that uses a bandpass filter -- a two-part filter that cuts highs and lows to leave a band in the middle. New Ensemble II sounds great, with bass extension comparable to the New Ensemble.

Each satellite and subwoofer contains all the response-tailoring circuitry required (including deep bass filtering). So you can choose from a variety of ways to wire the units. And you won't be forced to wire first to the subwoofer and then out to the satellites, which all use gold-plated five-way connecting posts. Charcoal, also available in White.

end quote

Hi Joe,

It's a tailored system so it's tough to say how it will mate with the TB's. Try experimenting before you decide if you need a different woofer set up. I'm not a fan of bandpass so the first thing I would do is pull the drivers and pop them in a different cabinet. If you are fine with bandpass, they may be just fine. Only your ears can tell you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.