external ports? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2006, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default external ports?

Hey,

i've been doing a load of research but i've got a bit stuck...

Basically i'm trying to model my bass cabinet in winisd and all i need to do is figure out the length (depth) of the slot port.

It only extends 1 inch in FRONT of the baffle board and not at all back into the speaker enclosure. Does this length count in the calculations or is it an untuned vent?

hope this is an easy one for you!

thanks in advance
Old 2nd June 2006, 01:14 AM   #2
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

The length of the vent is the length of the vent, regardless if it's inside the enclosure or not.
Old 2nd June 2006, 02:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would be extremely suspicious of a 1 inch long port. It typically indicates one of the following:

- a really large box
- really high tuning
- the port is too small in area for the amount of air it will pass, thus making unmusical noises

If none of these are the case, I am curious about this design.
Old 2nd June 2006, 03:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by boydon_lepasci
I would be extremely suspicious of a 1 inch long port. It typically indicates one of the following:

- a really large box
- really high tuning
- the port is too small in area for the amount of air it will pass, thus making unmusical noises

If none of these are the case, I am curious about this design.
Agreed. Also, with such a short slot port, figuring out the exact effective length will be tricky. Slot ports require special consideration anyway, but I've never see an end adjustment for one that is in the corner. I think that will create even more effective length, than the usual slot port adjustment.
Old 2nd June 2006, 04:15 AM   #5
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes, I would definately consider making the port longer (and correspondingly wider) for the same tuning frequency. If you put your vent inside the box, you need to make the box slightly larger to accommodate the volume of the port.
Old 2nd June 2006, 08:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cheers for the help guys, have plugged in my numbers + been playing with winisd since got home from work :-)

After measuring it properly this time (stupid mistake) the slot port is actually just over 2" long

The cab is for playing bass guitar through (driven by a 100w valve amp) and so is pretty hefty.

Dimensions are 53x53.5x25cm

the slot port runs the whole length of the bottom at 53x3x5.5cm

There's one 15" fane driver (studio 15b) I'm pretty sure this isn't original hence me trying to find out whether its suited to the cab.

Winisd reckons the port tunes to ~50Hz. (not great when the lowest open string on a bass is 40Hz) I'm sure i've read somewhere that winisd doesn't calculate slot ports accurately- Is this right in anyone's experience and does it affect the port freq?
Old 3rd June 2006, 01:24 AM   #7
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beetooex

Winisd reckons the port tunes to ~50Hz. (not great when the lowest open string on a bass is 40Hz) I'm sure i've read somewhere that winisd doesn't calculate slot ports accurately- Is this right in anyone's experience and does it affect the port freq?
A slot port with a ratio like that won't model correctly using conventional software, it's likley the enclosure is actually tuned slightly lower than 50hz with a more damped output (compared to round vent) from the port.
Old 4th June 2006, 07:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looks like it may not be a bad bass cab then as far as i can see.

It must be farting out because of amp clipping.

cheers for the opinions

Hide this!Advertise here!