Massive vibration guess?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What wattage and what sub or subs would you kneed to:

Knock over a bunch of AA batteries standing on their ends in less than 1 second.
Vibrate the crap out of a filing cabinet.
Vibrate a roller door several meters away.
Air pressure moving a piece of paper near a window about 4 meters away.
Reboot and put in protection mode a computer.
Knock the side of a computer case.
Vibrate a draw out of a stationary box.
Knock over a can of freeze spray.
Spin a screwdriver around several times.
Open a door of a stereogram cabinet up stairs on the next floor.
Moving sub box along carpet by its self measurable in feet.
Make a AA battery jump centimeters in the air.
Override the sound of a TV turned up full.
Or even vibrate a 3.5mm stereo plug out of a sound card.

I know the answer, what do you guys think?
What setup would you need?

IMO, mechanical vibration is a bad thing. Sounds like you have drivers with heavy cones in lightweight enclosures. That vibration is not caused by sound, but by mechanical energy from the diaphram and voice coil. When the cone moves forward, the magnetic field of the voice coil is pushing back on the magnet. This transfers energy to the basket, the enclosure, and whatever the enclosure is sitting on. People who have built IB subwoofers in their homes get this concept. If you look at IB designs you will notice they almost always have opposite facing drivers. This causes the mechanical energy from the cone moving to cancel, and you can hear bass, instead of hearing your walls shake.

Dan

Good example of vibrations traveling rather than sonic output:

My dad bought his first stereo when he was fourteen, which would make the year... 1980. He bought a full Pioneer system with two CS-610 speakers. The woofers in the speakers are only 10 in drivers but I have heard numerous stories of him shakeing the walls enough to make things fall off of shelves and rattle across the table all over the house. (My mom's first wedding gift, and first occupant of the house was a snowglobe that didn't last too long during one of his cranking sessions while taking a shower).

With only two 10 inch drivers with bass output only down to the low 40's he was able to make things move all over the house.

Enter today and my Ascendant Audio Assassin 12 inch driver. I have done a side by side comparison of my system and his, and there is no question that my system is louder, cleaner, and deeper than his, but I have yet to make anything more than two feet away move. This is because while he had his speakers sitting on the first floor of the house on a wooden floor, my sub sits on a carpeted floor in a basement room with all brick walls. Nothing in my room moves because it is all anchored to the brick.

My bet would be the test has to have been done on a main level of a home with the standared wood construction.

I've got dual 12" MTX subs in a dual-bandpass box for car audio,and a 200Wpc amp.. I've made my computer freeze before,I was actually worried about crashing a HDD from the vibration.

I once had 2 12" cheap-o subs in a big round enclosure with an open bottom,it used the floor as the bottom.They were isobaric,and with a ~120W per channel amp I could get it to "scoot" across the floor. It rattled the hell out of everything in the house,and got the neighbors knocking on the door a couple times. That was probably the most impressive sub i've rigged up,output wise,and it only cost $40 to build!

It doesn't always take loads of power to cause trouble. :D
I've PO'ed the neighbors with this 200Wpc amp several times.

lol DigitalJunkie yes it doesn’t take loads of power to cause trouble as I found out:) and the computer room is besser block with carpet laid straight onto concrete I was playing goldfinger by peakhour it has nice bass hits

I’m making another sub box soon hopefully something like 4 10” long throw subs

I have videos if you want

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.