Applying piano black finish help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

My box construction is nearing an end and have to start planning on box finish, I have chosen, I want a piano black finish

I have googled on it and looked every where, I have found little info but not enough to satify my hunger and need.

Could some one pls, explain step by step or lead to a page explaing my exact situation

..My box is pure 25mm mdf board,----what now, I have a faint idea but would like to be told the correct way

Thanks

Heres a pic of my subwoofer insides

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hope you like sanding...

Sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, sand, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, ad nauseum...

The process is so involved, but with few different steps, I did it on a box of mine, but after the effort would NEVER do it again.

Get a auto paint shop to do it is my suggestion. (unless you have a nice paint booth and patience)

http://www.lungster.com/l/speakers/pianofinish.shtml

Well... you need to **** or get off the pot.

Here's the deal; wood (yes... mdf) is an unstable material. It shrinks and swells when solvents are applied. The old-school-labor-intensive ways of shiny black wood are just that... labor intensive.

If you can spend more on exotic primers... you can do things faster.

I can tell you more... but I hate typing.

If you can use a catalized urethane/or epoxy primer with high solids... then you are on your way. Then you can follow with laquer with minimal effort.

Painting wood for gloss is like painting a tee-shirt. Metal is much easier it doesn't shrink or swell

Perhaps the "happy point" would be to do the primer and prep yourself, and let a pro squirt the laquer (or urethane).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.