Open baffle With cheap, large, low Fs car drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had my eye on these woofers:

http://www.monacor.de/int/en/produktseite_suche.php?artid=1873&spr=DE&typ=full&spr=EN
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They seem to be quite suitable for open baffle operation, and you can get them for £35 each from CPC. They have a large surface area, low Fs and high-ish Qts. I'm a bit dubious about their x-max though, but they're not exactly PA drivers so they be alright. I'm thinking about buying four of them (two per side) and wiring them in SERIES to make a more benign 8 ohm load. Hopefully, this will raise their Qts value to something a bit more usable in an open baffle. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

i actually have a couple of those EXACT drivers! they came in my first ever speakers i bought, they are in 3 way speakers with a 6" mid and a 4"tweeter but none of the drivers are original, someone just put them in the goodmans boxes..lol.. they actually sound pretty good, its the midrange and tweeters that let those speakers i have down not the subs, mabey if i wasnt moveing away over summer i would have been persuaded to rip the subs out and try them open baffle for you and let you know how i get on but at the moment it isnt going to happen, i have had them out and had them in ported boxes and they sounded pretty good in the ported boxes.. also had them in sealed boxes and they sounded pretty good but i have never tried open baffle before with any driers so i cant really comment on how they would respond.. they do seem to be quite cheaply made BUT they also seem to be very robust and have stood up to many a thrashing at parties at my place so they pass all my tests as far as good value.. hope this helps some..
Owen

Monacor have obviously fairly recently changed the design of that driver. Me and Nuuk were looking at getting them about a year or so ago, back then Qts was about 1.2 IIRC. So it would be worth checking that CPC stock the more recent version.

As for how to calculate the new Qts when inserting series resistance, here is a formula that should be what you want:

R = [(Qts_required / Qts) * Re] - Re

DoomPixie said:
i actually have a couple of those EXACT drivers! they came in my first ever speakers i bought, they are in 3 way speakers with a 6" mid and a 4"tweeter but none of the drivers are original, someone just put them in the goodmans boxes..lol.. they actually sound pretty good, its the midrange and tweeters that let those speakers i have down not the subs, mabey if i wasnt moveing away over summer i would have been persuaded to rip the subs out and try them open baffle for you and let you know how i get on but at the moment it isnt going to happen, i have had them out and had them in ported boxes and they sounded pretty good in the ported boxes.. also had them in sealed boxes and they sounded pretty good but i have never tried open baffle before with any driers so i cant really comment on how they would respond.. they do seem to be quite cheaply made BUT they also seem to be very robust and have stood up to many a thrashing at parties at my place so they pass all my tests as far as good value.. hope this helps some..
Owen

Thanks for commenting :)

The drivers sound promising, and I don't intend to thrash them at parties so they should easily cope with the relatively low SPLs I listen at :)

In the boxes you had them in - were they boomy? I expect they were because of the high Qts values, but if not, even better! I can then use them in sealed cabinets if this goes wrong (or sell them)

richie00boy said:
Monacor have obviously fairly recently changed the design of that driver. Me and Nuuk were looking at getting them about a year or so ago, back then Qts was about 1.2 IIRC. So it would be worth checking that CPC stock the more recent version.

As for how to calculate the new Qts when inserting series resistance, here is a formula that should be what you want:

R = [(Qts_required / Qts) * Re] - Re

Yes, I will make sure they do. The old version's Qts is too high to be useful for anything IMO.

Hopefully they do stock them.

they wern't too bad, they sounded best by far in the sealed enclosure as opposed to the ported or the three way speakers (Also ported) they really dont need much power behind them either. i have no idea which version i have though if there are really two versions... but i suspect they are the old ones as i have had them for about 2 years now.. mabey even longer :eek:

Actually, the fact that the Q stays the same is a good thing, because I can then easily build a gainclone that will drive 8 ohm loads but not 4 ohms with mixed mode feedback to have an output impendance of an exact value I need to raise the Qts (around 2 ohms) so no power will be lost in series resistors..

bigwill said:
The drivers I'm looking at have an air gap height of 6mm, does this translate into an X-Max of about 4mm, and if so, is this enough when you have four of the drivers?

Can't calculate x-max from that without knowing the height of the voice coil windings, but judging from the inductance and other specs I would say it's likley the x-max would be in the 4-6mm range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.