Infinite Baffle: Looking for advice re: Manufacturing an OEM 18" for IB Applications - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2006, 04:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I have a strong feeling that the physics are going to get in your way. Extreme excursion, very low Fs, high Qts, and a smooth response down low are going to be goals that will contradict each other when designing this driver. Where you're going to have to give is on the Qts, because you need a strong enough motor to keep things under control. Otherwise the response is going to be lumpy in the lower octaves. My guess is that the Dayton IB15 already pushes some of these limits, so with their price of only $100 or so, your plan may be an exercise in futility. I like the idea, but be sure to fully discuss these matters with the engineer helping you with the design.
Old 24th May 2006, 04:29 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

AE speakers have an IB subwoofer driver which may be hard to beat

$100 each if you buy 4
copper shorting ring
cast basket
18mm xmax

Not bad for a 15" driver!
Old 26th May 2006, 05:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Awesome news!!!

I have FANTASTIC news from my OEM!!!

Here are the parameters of the prototype driver (plug them in to your favorite subwoofer simulation software and compare them with ANY driver on the market! )

Fs = 14.5Hz
Qts = 0.42
Qes = 0.52
Qms = 2.14
Vas = 926.7 liters
Mms = 232.7g
Re= 4.5ohms
Le = 1.56mH
SPL = 89.2dB
Res = 40.9ohms
Rp = 18.3ohms
Rms = 9.9Kg/s
Cms = 0.51mm/N
Cp = 1487.2uF

Saved the best for lastÖ

Xmax = 35mm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sd = 1123.3 cm^2
Displaced volume = 7.864 LITERS OF AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind all these are preliminary and maybe Iím jumping the gun a bit as the parameters may change a bit. But this is the driver weíre working on. Amazing stuff!!

As soon as I get the prototypes, Iíll put them in a MONTH-long burn-in in a lab and a real world environment (club, disco, etc.).
Only after reliability of at least 10 samples has been proven, this will be offered for sale.

You have no idea how excited I am! This is absolutely amazing. My OEM have been working solid on this and have delivered BIG TIME!

This is it, ladies and gentlemen, Iím awaiting for your inputs, comments, criticisms, suggestions, etc. etc.

Thanks,

Andreas
Old 26th May 2006, 09:42 PM   #14
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

What is the cone material and weight of the unit? Is any effort being made to minimize the aerodynamic noise of the driver?
You do realize that you widen your potential sales base if it is also suitable for dipole use (which many IB subs are).

cheers,

AJ
Old 26th May 2006, 10:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I don't have the room for IB, nor the space in my room for dipole, but I could do multiples of these in isobaric...

If you can get specs similar to those listed above for a price close to what you quoted on the first page, not only would I be astonished, but I'd also buy a couple of them, no questions asked...
Old 26th May 2006, 11:20 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Maybe I did something wrong but a quick run through BoxPlot gives me an f3 of 30Hz in IB. However in a really big ported box (about 50 cubic feet with twin 3" ports) it seems to really kick bootie down to about 12Hz.

mike
Old 27th May 2006, 05:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

WOW!

I think people will want to know about the motor design, how linear that excursion is. Does it have shorting rings? Is there any means employed to keep a flat BL curve?

That thing is just plain scary!

And of course, I think we all want to know the big question: HOW MUCH?
Old 27th May 2006, 03:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJinFLA
What is the cone material and weight of the unit? Is any effort being made to minimize the aerodynamic noise of the driver?
You do realize that you widen your potential sales base if it is also suitable for dipole use (which many IB subs are).

cheers,

AJ
Hi Aj,
The driver right now has treated paper cone and I'm not sure about the weight yet.
As an appetizer, here's a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ib 18 sub-3.jpg (54.1 KB, 310 views)
Old 27th May 2006, 04:26 PM   #19
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Looks good. Neo magnet?

cheers,

AJ
Old 2nd June 2006, 04:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The magnet is ceramic (Strontium Ferrite) on this prototype, we might also try a neo proto to see how it performs...

Hide this!Advertise here!