Can I mod an old labriynth box to be a vented box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Someone I knew was throwing away an old speaker as the drivers have had it. I said I'll have the speaker as I wouldn't mind using the box. The speaker is apparently a "nightinggale" and is older than me!

The box is around 2 cubic feet, which is good for my pioneer ts-w305c driver that I want to use with it. I've used Winisd PRo to see how I should port the box, and it looks like I'll need a 26cm long four inch wide port. Where can you buy these long ports?

Also, the old box is a labriynth and the cross section of the box looks like this:

_________
|._______
|.|......|
|.|......|
|.|.|.../|
|.|.|.||/|
|.|.|.||\|
|.|.|...\|
|...|....|
|...|....|
----------

Now, i was wondering how this will sound if I don't mod the box (apart from making the hole bigger for the driver? I reackon I could somehow cutout one part of the labriynth so it would look like this... Would this work as a large port or are ports forbidden to go round corners, as it were?

_________
|._______
|.|......|
|.|......|
|.|...../|
|.|...||/|
|.|...||\|
|.|.....\|
|........|
|........|
----------

Or would the best option be to do this? It would be more work but it could be done. Is it ok to have a port thats as wide as the whole speaker? I want minimal chuffing, but don't we all?

_________
|._______
|........|
|........|
|......./|
|.....||/|
|.....||\|
|.......\|
|........|
|........|
----------
I guess the best thing to do would completely rip out the old labriynth and block the old port. I could then use a 4" holesaw and put a 26cm long port in the top. This is a lot of work tho, and if I could get away with modding the existing box, then I would prefer to do that.

I'd seal up the box first, keep everything as they labyrinth will serve as bracing. Put in a circular vent. You might be able to work things so that the vent can actually use one of the internal labyrinth walls as an internal baffle - ideally a vent would be symmetrical at both ends from an aerodynamic point of view.

If you are lucky and a bit clever, you could mod so that the labyrinth becomes an oversized vent, but this means giving up box volume.

Have a look at winisd and play around with

box volume
vent tuning
vent diameter

based on those 3, vent length will be a given

I've ripped out all of the stuffing now, otherwise I'd be tempted to see how it sounds as it is now. I don't have an SPL meter, so I'd have use my ears to see if it's peaky of boomy. The original driver was closer size to an 8" driver tho.

paulspencer said:
I'd seal up the box first, keep everything as they labyrinth will serve as bracing. Put in a circular vent. You might be able to work things so that the vent can actually use one of the internal labyrinth walls as an internal baffle - ideally a vent would be symmetrical at both ends from an aerodynamic point of view.

If you are lucky and a bit clever, you could mod so that the labyrinth becomes an oversized vent, but this means giving up box volume.

Have a look at winisd and play around with

box volume
vent tuning
vent diameter

based on those 3, vent length will be a given

Good idea... I'll go with this option, as I've already used WinISD to design a vented box. I guess I'll have to somehow estimate how much the labrinyth reduces the volume of the box.

As for the circular vent, I'm guessing using a 4" wide one would be a good trade off between size and chuffing. WinISD says I'll need as 12" port which is quote long... certainly too long to put in the front or back. Would it make much difference if I put the vent the side or even the top?

Hey I'm going to be doing a similar project so I am verrrrry interested in how this turns out. I am having alot of trouble getting HT drivers so I was going to build 2, 3.5 cubic feet ported enclosures tuned to 25 Hz each housing a 10 pioneer ts w256 driver and powered with the power amlifier section of a Carver "The Receiver". So please let me know your results. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.