please help with MJK's alignment tables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greets!

Without room gain and not spending much time on it, either custom driver(s) in a PR tuned BP or L-R transformed sealed or a bunch of Peerless XLS12 (or similar low Fs, Vas) drivers tuned to ~11 Hz with the appropriate number/size PRs required and flattened with EQ ought to do it.

GM

Just to be clear, I won't be burning it, of course, that was just a silly way of letting you know I am up for radical change, or a complete restart. As you have seen me state, I am happy with the performance as is, in respect to my small room. But as soon as I realized my excursion limitations I knew there was nothing really special going on here.

The only performance goal I set in the beginning was flat response at least to 20 hz, and as close to 15 as possible, with good sensitivity. I didn't have any considerations for extended high end bandwidth or power handling (although I admit I didn't think it would be a problem for my SPL needs, and so far I haven't needed more), so for the most part I have already succeeded.

The issue of change came about because I realized there may be untapped potential here and I would hate to waste it because I am too lazy to try anything different. As far as limitations are concerned, I'd prefer to look at possibilities. This box, stripped down has the limitation of length and either a 2:1 or a 1:2 taper and it's associated CSA. The other limitation is a 25% driver offset, but the driver can be in the middle baffle, as it is now, or on either of the outside sides, to correspond with the 2:1 or 1:2 taper I choose to use.

I don't think any of these limitations are at the cost of the exclusion of potential excellence. The driver - yeah, ok maybe - but I am getting more and more convinced that if I reverse the taper it will act very much like the PB-12. Either way, I am certain that there is a combination of this box in one of it's potential forms and the right selection of driver can equal excellence in it's own right, even if I don't get down to 15 hz.

All the questions were my attempt to strive for the potential I believe is there without making stupid decisions and making it worse on the way. After all, my proposed solutions (including the ones I should have tried first) are opposites in tuning, and once I start cutting out the sides of the box it will be much harder to cover up later if things don't work.

At this point, I know exponentially more than I did even a month ago, and I would like to thank you guys one more time while I have the chance. I will be experimenting (little things at first, bigger things along the way) and I WILL be reversing the taper and if there is still nothing special going on I will be auditioning drivers, the LAB12 would probably be a great place to start.

Thanks, guys, no more questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.