Tom Danley's TOWER OF POWER - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2006, 08:19 PM   #101
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Good luck with that, I've only seen 8" and 10"............
Old 4th November 2006, 03:44 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Default Tom Danley on the TAP Horn...

Tom was kind enough to answer questions on the Tap on his forum site. I thought I would post a link to Tom's reply here so those interested could read it. Regards Moray James.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/forum...osts=2&start=1
Old 11th November 2006, 02:01 PM   #103
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tom Danley on the TAP Horn...

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
I thought I would post a link to Tom's reply here so those interested could read it. Regards Moray James.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/forum...osts=2&start=1

I have tried to link to this for several days - However, the forum appears to be down.
Old 11th November 2006, 02:55 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Default it's not just you...

several pages of Tom's site have been down for a few days. So my guess is that the issue is at Danley sound rather than the server as his main page is up. Keep trying as it is an in depth answer. Regards Moray James (checked prior to posting and still down)
Old 11th November 2006, 03:33 PM   #105
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: it's not just you...

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
several pages of Tom's site have been down for a few days. So my guess is that the issue is at Danley sound rather than the server as his main page is up. Keep trying as it is an in depth answer. Regards Moray James (checked prior to posting and still down)
Thanks Moray - sent you an e-mail thru AA
Old 16th January 2007, 07:43 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default High Efficiency Low Frequency Speaker System

Have a look at this patent. US # 5,177,329. I dont know how Tom is going to get aroud this. Regards Moray James.
Old 16th January 2007, 11:07 AM   #107
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting. The only difference I can see is that Tom's does not have the driver co-incident with the port. Is that enough? Unless, of course, there is more going on in Tom's than we guessed!

Oh, and a direct link for those interested.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=US...77,329#PPP1,M1
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th January 2007, 12:57 PM   #108
DorinD is offline DorinD  Romania
diyAudio Member

Is something like Transflex of Jensen.
Old 16th January 2007, 10:45 PM   #109
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Interesting. The only difference I can see is that Tom's does not have the driver co-incident with the port. Is that enough? Unless, of course, there is more going on in Tom's than we guessed!

Oh, and a direct link for those interested.

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=US...77,329#PPP1,M1
Thanks!

Highly interesting, can hardly wait until the innards of Tom's creation is revealed.
Old 17th January 2007, 12:27 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default As far as I can tell...

the difference between a Transflex and a TAP is the length fraction of wavelength used for the line and of course the fact that Tom is using a horn flair which will of course be a little longer than a straight parallel sided duct for the same tuning frequency. The horn flair will provide some additional load and perhaps some limited gain. Since the TAP is a 1/4 wave horn ther will not be much if any gain (due to the horn) at resonance but it will controll upper harmonics better than a pipe would. Perhaps GM could comment on the gain aspect. I also assume that the position of the reflex duct is not all that critical but don't quote me on that. Best regards. Moray James.

PS have been keeping a sharp eye on the US Patent Applications and there is no sign yet of Tom's application (re the TAP). I fear that this is one design that Tom may not snag. Bummer when you find out that someone else had your same idea ahead of you and got the pattent. In my searches I have found my own idea patented twice. but wonder seriously if they will ever pay the cost of the application and patent along with maintenence fees.

Hide this!Advertise here!