Looking for replacement JBL PB12 speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems that my dreaded JPL PB12 subwoofer is damaged since it only works when I push the speaker in. I need to find a replacement speaker but I don't know where to find them. The only marking on the back is WFR-12GG01. T found the specs here on Google and that's all I could find: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3506&highlight=

If somebody knows where I can find a suitable replacement it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info Simon5 but I rather not just throw in any OEM subwoofer in there. Using the wrong replacement could burn out the PB12 amp in no time. Anyone who has the JBL PB12 will know how crappy these amplifiers are. So again if anyone knows where I can find an exact replacement (same specs) please reply.

Like I said, you think your amp could blow easily so this is the driver you could use and why :

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-120

DAYTON ST305-8 12" SERIES II
Re 5.7 ohms <-- higher Re so easier load for the amplifier
Fs 27 Hz <-- quite similar
Le 2.3 mH <-- lower Le so easier load for the amplifier
Qms 11.72 <-- quite similar
Qes 0.35 <-- quite similar
Qts 0.34 <-- quite similar
Vas 161.4 liters <-- quite similar
Xmax 8 mm <-- two times better
SPL 92 dB <-- higher SPL with the same power imput so easier load for the amplifier to reach the same loudness
Sd 0.052 m^2 <-- quite similar
Bl 16.49 Tm <-- quite similar
Mms 90.76 g <-- quite similar
Cms 0.35 mm/N <-- quite similar

JBL PB12
Re(ohms) 5.30
Fs(hz) 24.80
Le(mh) 3.44
Qm 8.14
Qe 0.331
QT 0.318
Vas(L) 164.30
Xmax(mm) 4.20
SPL(db) 91.00
BL(Tm) 15.18
Mms(g) 97.81
Cms(mm/n) 0.418
Sd(m^2) 0.053

Convinced?

Maybe there's better matches. Good luck!!!

wattz said:
Thanks for the info Simon5 but I rather not just throw in any OEM subwoofer in there. Using the wrong replacement could burn out the PB12 amp in no time. Anyone who has the JBL PB12 will know how crappy these amplifiers are. So again if anyone knows where I can find an exact replacement (same specs) please reply.

Your PB12 may not be as useless as you think. Pat Allen's version and all previous were pure trash, but JBL did change the design at one point to be fully discrete and consequently repairable.

If you have one of the older versions that has yet to die, I would say that this is a good excuse to get rid of it, or modify it to work with a different amp. On the other hand, if you have one of the newer amp design models, I wouldn't hesitate to throw in a new driver, Dayton or otherwise, to get it working. Just my 2¢.

Just FYI, if you don't already know or haven't already determined, the way to easily determine the type of the amp externally is barcode placement. The non-repairable types will have the barcode at the bottom of the amp, while the 'good' amps will have the barcode near the top, by the controls.

Additionally, you could order the original woofer from JBL here for $90 if your deadset on it, but the Dayton, as suggested, is a better option.

It seems that my dreaded JPL PB12 subwoofer is damaged since it only works when I push the speaker in. I need to find a replacement speaker but I don't know where to find them. The only marking on the back is WFR-12GG01. T found the specs here on Google and that's all I could find: Is it the sub or the crossover? - diyAudio

If somebody knows where I can find a suitable replacement it would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure when this posting was dated, not sure if you are still looking for this driver, but I have a Mint condition one here if anyone needs it!
LDorn920 and of course gmail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.